Wall Out Of Plumb How Do You Tile It And Have Decent Visuals. Grout Lines Off By 1/4 - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

wall out of plumb how do you tile it and have decent visuals. grout lines off by 1/4

I missed that this wall end, 2x6 was not quite pllumb. is pretty good till near the bottom. I already have tile on the face and was going to put bullnose right up to the edge. This wall is at the end of the tub and the end/edge was going to be painted and caulk if it needed it between the wall and bull nose.

I did not have the sheetrock up when I pre layed it out and although I was checking those things, I did shim for across the board, I missed this on the lower part. I have 1/4 inch grout ines and one spot is just over 1/8 the rest about 1/8 and I can realy see that.
I am a little perplexed also. the grout lines only seem 1/8 off, the thickness of a spacer roughly. but the straight edge showes the wall off by much more. I put about a 1/4 inch of drywall shims in there and held the sheetrock and checked the grout lines and they were still off one was acceptable though and it was in the middle.

I am not sure what to do.
I think I can follow the wall with the bull nose and have a soft edge but the grout lines will be awful. but it is the end of the tub and the shower curtain will help you miss the flaw, I think?

Use larger grout lines on that border and the difference might be less obvious but the larger lines wont be missed.

Put up tile so the grout lines look good and add corner moulding to hide the other edge and soften up that edge. ( I am kinda liking this but wonder how it will look)
what is the least awful?

Or do something smart that one of you tells me about.

Advertisement

papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

wall out of plumb how do you tile it and have decent visuals. grout lines off by 1/4

How about a pic?

It's ok to change the width of grout to compensate for the wall or tile size variations. Sometimes you can end it just short of an outside corner. The pic you're gonna post will help us.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

This is the corner I refered to.

I have since redmoved the panel and shimed it. Still a bit off in a place or two but is pretty close. i also found the tile was not cut straight wich magnified the issue. Lowes will cut tile for free and sometimes you get what you pay for.

I do not want the corner to be able to get dinged up. So that is why I want to tile right up to it.

While I am here let me ask another Q.
Can you shape grout and make it rounded, like the edge of a bullnose, between two tiles at right angles? Wall to shelf edge.
Attached Thumbnails
wall out of plumb how do you tile it and have decent visuals. grout lines off by 1/4-dscn1835.jpg  
papason is offline   Reply With Quote