Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Waiting to grout?

Hi everyone. I'm nearing completion of a bathroom remodel with lots of help from folks on this forum - THANKS!

One last question: How long can I wait to grout?

The reason I ask, is that we have houseguests arriving tomorrow evening and I'd like to temporarily install the toilet and vanity to make the bathroom usable. Then, I figure I'd just pull them out, grout, and re-install.

Googling around a bit I found some posts suggesting that waiting to grout can actually be a good thing because it will allow the floor thinset to fully cure first.

So, can I wait a few days to grout? And, if so, is it good to wait longer? We'll actually be away for a few weeks after next week, so can easily wait about 3 or 4 weeks if there's a benefit to be had.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by BigJim; 07-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.
MikeDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 128

Waiting to grout?

You only need to wait a day, but I guess technically if you used modified thinset, it is actually better to wait a week so the thinset can dry up through the open grout joints. (If you installed tile over Ditra with modified thinset, this is what you'd have to do.) This isn't necessary with unmodified thinset, and it is only very slightly helpful and probably not noticeable in the long run with modified thinset over plywood or cement board.

To answer your question, I can't think of any reason that waiting would be harmful, assuming stuff doesn't accumulate in the joints.

jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

Waiting to grout?

Walking on raw tiles can break the tile corners pretty quick and is never a good idea. I would make shoes "off-limits" in that bathroom until it is grouted.
JazMan (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

Waiting to grout?

If you have thinset squeeze up--remove that as soon as possible--it gets hard to remove after a day---
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Tileguy

Waiting to grout?

MikeDobbs,

This may not be helpful now, but maybe next time or for others.

You posted the question last night, (Thursday) and so I'll assume the tiles were set. You could have grouted this morning and set the toilet right after. 2-3 hours at most and the room is functional. Of course you may have had to go to work, or?

Walking on and using a room with ungrouted tiles is not a good thing, as Bud said.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

Waiting to grout?

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

The issue was just one of timing- we had houseguests arriving tonight and my wife wanted a functioning bathroom before then.

So, we will walk only barefoot for now- not really a problem in a bathroom anyway.

And we'll try to grout next week if we can.

MikeDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote