Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wait to seal if I need to remove haze on grout lines?

Much of the new grout in my kitchen seems to have some haze on it, i.e. it's lighter than other areas. If I lightly scrape it with my grout saw the light portion will come off and reveal the correct color.

So if I plan to try to remove this haze with vinegar or sulfamic acid or whatever (have some lingering haze on some of the tile faces also), can I assume I should wait until the final cleaning before sealing the grout?

Is there any kind of time limit BEFORE which I should get the sealer on? The last batch of grout was put in this past Saturday, 2 April. I plan to wait until the grout has been in at least 10 days before cleaning with anything (which is what the sulfamic acid specifies).

PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
So if I plan to try to remove this haze with vinegar or sulfamic acid or whatever (have some lingering haze on some of the tile faces also), can I assume I should wait until the final cleaning before sealing the grout?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any kind of time limit BEFORE which I should get the sealer on?
Any of the sealers I have ever seen have those recommendations on the label. They do vary by manufacturer.

Which sealer are you planning to use?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Yes.

Any of the sealers I have ever seen have those recommendations on the label. They do vary by manufacturer.

Which sealer are you planning to use?
Only sealer I have used before is TileGuard's water-based sealer, the one in the aerosol can that you turn upside down and spray along each grout line, wait 5-10 minutes and wipe dry, then apply again after 30 minutes and wipe dry.

It says you can spray it only 1 hour after grouting (didn't want to do it that soon). It does not give any maximum time before you should apply the sealer.

I used this product in my bathroom that I tiled 2-3 years ago and it seemed to work well. The grout still looks very good there other than a bit of surface dirt/dust in the corners of the room.
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote