Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl sheet tile install - remove or level ceramic?

I have a 4' x 4' area just inside of my front door. Right now it is covered with ceramic tiles that are 6" x 6" with 1/4" wide grout between. My wife has some vinyl sheet tile picked out that she would like in its place. My question is do I just use leveler to bring the grout cracks to level with the tiles, or should I just take the time to remove the old tile/glue before laying the new vinyl sheet?
I have laid vinyl sheeting a few times, but always on top of new subflooring. Would the ceramics be an o.k. base to glue vinyl to?

Thanks
Craig

Craigkapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
mike owes me $53 dollars

Craig,
In using an SLC you will add more floor height as well. Your best option is to tear it down, add your BamPly underlayment as needed then your vinyl

Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-20-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #3

Whatever you do, use the leveler - vinyl always depresses/adapts to whatever is under it and shows the same texture. Even a tiny bit of dirt eventually looks like a pimple (or volcano, in the eye of a critical beholder). That means the "removing the tile option" needs be done thoroughly and any pits you make be filled/leveled.
Actually, whether you need remove the tile depends on the adjacent flooring, The vinyl will add 1/8 at least, to the height. Next to carpet, little matter. Next to hardwood or other composite will make an uneven juncture. You be the judge.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #4

Not if they use the required 1/4 underlayment rated plywood under it.
DO not use louon!
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote