Verabond Over Redgard Best Option? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Verabond over Redgard best option?

I am in Wisconsin and tiling a outside wall in a DIY shower remodel. I plan on removing existing vapor barrier and applying Redgard over 1/2" cement board. I want to be as cost effective as possible as these projects get expensive (as everyone knows). Is VersaBond Fortified Thin-Set Mortar a good mortar to use to adhere ceramic and glass tiles over Redgard? I will gladly pay more if the outside wall should need a more expensive mortar (possibly for more flexibility). Thanks for any input!

Advertisement

pboguszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

Hi "Ski", welcome,

Sounds like a good plan to me. Versabond is decent and a good value.

Are you gonna removed the vapor barrier or just slash it?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I never thought about simply slashing the vapor barrier - I would assume that is a 'better' solution as it is less work and I m not messing with the insulation at all. Is either removal or slashing a better way?
pboguszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Slashing of course.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 83

Versabond is "lightly modified." For outdoor projects in the extreme Wisconsin climate,I would use a highly modified thinset. My first two choices would be Laticrete Platinum or Mapei kerabond/keralastic. Custom's has Flexbond,I think.

Be sure to roll two coats of Regard as per directions for waterproofing+crack suppression membrane. Because this is outdoors, use Fusion grout or an urethane grout. Which ever grout you use needs to be protected from rain for at least 3 days but 5 days is better.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

Olzo,

So you're thinking "Ski" is building and outdoor shower? That could be interesting for the neighbors.

It's an outside wall, that doesn't mean the wall is actually outside.

Jaz

Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 83

Lol, I thought he was building an outside shower.That's the kind of thing my neighbors to the North do at their lake retreats. My bad. Carry on.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Tileguy

Yes OLZO we know what you meant, they're rinse-off showers to get the dirty lake water and sand off.

Jaz

Advertisement