Using Steel Instead Of Tile On A Wall, What Adhesive To Use? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using steel instead of tile on a wall, what adhesive to use?

I have some 8" wide 1/4" thick steel plate that I want to use around my fireplace insert. It will need to stick to the drywall and the lip of the insert which has about a 2" band of steel around it. The drywall is flush with the insert. I plan to rough up one side of the plate with a grinder. I thought I would just use a good tile mastic, but I contacted a couple of different manufacturers, DAP, was one. The didn't recommend any of their products for this. The steel will be able to rest on the floor so the mastic won't have to carry the full weight of the steel but I sure don't want it falling off because each of the 3 pieces weighs about 25 lbs. Maybe I should just use a construction adhesive and not a mastic or grout? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Advertisement

swsengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

What your plan "B" instead of the plate steel?

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

Why steel?
It's going to expand and contract and break the thin set bond.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #4

ok, so don't use a thinset, surely somebody makes a suitable adhesive or epoxy? Plan B would just be to use tile, but I really like the look of the steel. I originally got the idea from seeing some stainless tiles and then liked the look of the plain metal fireplace surrounds painted black. There is a steel shop where I work and the 3 pieces of plate were cheap and cut to width and length for free. It's going to look really good if I can figure out the best way to make it stay.

I could use some kind of mechanical connector, bolts, screws etc. but I would like to avoid having anything like that exposed.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

I epoxied several nails onto the back of the plate and slowly tapped the plate into place over the drywall and studs using a hammer and block. Worked great and I have no worries that it will fall off now! I countersunk the nail heads into the plate so the epoxy had plenty to grab onto and I roughed the plate up with a grinder.