To Use Self Level Or Not? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Get it done right

Rewards Points: 10

To use Self level or not?

from the 50's this slab..i put a pretty straight straight edge down..the floor is not flat..every 10 feet it goes out 1/4-1/2inch or so..plus one sidde of the room has old paper and glue from a vinyl floor i ripped out..u guys think it worth me self leveing..i will be using large format tiles 6x20-24 or 12x24..the room is 200 square..i will also be using flexbond mortar or porcelien mortar from h.d..and a 1/2inch trowel..tell me what u guys think..thanx

Advertisement

Donnie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

1/4-1/2" is a lot. You will need some self leveling compound to flatten out that floor with large tiles. I would say first clean up the floor as best you can and then measure it again with a straight edge. I'm not sure if you can throw SLC over some of the existing glue and paper but someone else would know better. Either way though, if the slab is that uneven, you'll definitely need SLC. 1/2" is a big variation. I thought I remember it being that it shouldn't be more than 1/8" off over 8', but someone else can comment on the details. Good luck.

Advertisement

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Get it done right

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeDIYGuy View Post
1/4-1/2" is a lot. You will need some self leveling compound to flatten out that floor with large tiles. I would say first clean up the floor as best you can and then measure it again with a straight edge. I'm not sure if you can throw SLC over some of the existing glue and paper but someone else would know better. Either way though, if the slab is that uneven, you'll definitely need SLC. 1/2" is a big variation. I thought I remember it being that it shouldn't be more than 1/8" off over 8', but someone else can comment on the details. Good luck.
thanx for ur input..but yea ive read it to be 1/8 of a inch every 10 feet..i took a 5 foot straight edge and ran it across all of the slab..it was perfectly flat...im not sure it i should get a longer straight edge and check it again...lmk what u guys think..thanx
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Get it done right

well i just took a chauk line and messure up along the long wall about 13 feet..measured up 2 inches..the floor goes down to 1 1/4 in the lowest spot (middle)..but with a 4 foot level its flat and it doesnt rock
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Get it done right

today i got some henry adhesive remover..i just put it down...it says wait to hours to let it penetrate..so let see what happens
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Get it done right

anyone in these forums
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Watch out for solvents---they soak into the concrete and can cause bonding issues----

You need a very flat floor for those large tiles----some self leveling compounds are fine to use over adhesives--so check the labels--

I use Jifset and Linewebers liquid latex when going over a surface that has old glue---just the first coat----then water only-------

Those long thin plank style tile are prone to being 'dished' --it's hard to make a tile like that that is flat---so be prepared for installing out of flat tiles----lippage is common with those---

A leveling system like Lash by QEP or Tuscan will help---plan on 1/2" trowel and light back buttering of each tile----

A bridge saw may be needed to cut those big tiles-------

Advertisement