Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Uneven cabinets-how do I tile the end of the backsplash?

We had new cherry cabinets installed. We changed the design and added an angled shelf on the end. We were planning to put a spacer for the base cabinets to end evenly underneath the top cabinets. Unfortunately, we found our flooring was not underneath the old cabinet peninsula and we have no extra flooring. The carpenter made adjustments but we still have the lower cabinets 3 to 4 inches shorter than the uppers. Since the phone is now there it does not bother me but I want a backsplash. The thought of an angled bullnose makes me "ill".
I thought of staggering them back and forth to have them gradually come in to meet the base end. I was planning to use 3 x 6 white matte Rittenhouse subways but this only gives me 5 rows to play with.
How would you end the backsplash?
Thank you, Golfgirl.
Attached Thumbnails
Uneven cabinets-how do I tile the end of the backsplash?-photo.jpg  

golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Maybe you could run a nice 3"-4" trim board starting just under the bottom of the top cabinet and run it down to the floor along the wall beside the back of the bottom cabinet.

Then either paint it the same as the woodwork in your kitchen, or try to match the cabinet wood. Start the backsplash on the inside of the board.

Just a thought...

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NancyNGA For This Useful Post:
golfgirl (10-27-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah - what Nancy said.

If you need another idea: you would do wide trim (3 inches maybe) or a row of tile with under the upper cabinets that comes flush with their end (or just shy of the end - personal visual preference).

The rest of the back splash would come from the edge (or almost edge) of the lower cabinets straight up to meet with the top row (of trim or tile).

If you did this all in trim you'd have to decide how to finish it off so the edges of the tile aren't showing - they sell very narrow strips of simple trim that would work to edge it off.
golfgirl (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Interesting ideas. To put a trim board I would have to adjust my cabinet door. It is only about 1/4" from the wall. I'll try to see if I can adjust. Full overlay door.
golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Some trims are extremely thin - 3/8" or 1/4" in thickness.

When I have issues that are quirky and need a creative solution I go to the hardware store and walk around for a while - look at different items in different departments and consider if it'll do the job.

I look at different stores, too.

The more you know about what's available to you the more creative solutions you can come up with in the future. And maybe even non-home improvement stores like craft and hobby shops, too.
golfgirl (10-28-2011)