Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc
Share |

underlayment again

HEY BACK AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE IN LAST POST, i GOT MY SUBFLOOR READY TO GO AS FAR AS LEVELING AND PREP WORK, TODAY I PLAN TO START LAYING DOWN MY 1/2 INCH EXTERIOR PLY BEFORE DROPPING MY HARDIE BACKER DOWN, MY QUESTION IS , FOR THAT SECOND PLY LAYER WHAT IS THE BEST DIRECTION FOR RUNNING IT, WITH OR AGAINST THE JOISTS, CURRENT SUBFLOOR IS WITH THE JOISTS, JOIST BEING 16 O.C. IM USING 13X13 CERAMIC TILE. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR DIRECTION.

jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Tileguy

underlayment again

Please....NO CAPS!

Subfloor and underlayments are always installed with the face grain perpendicular the joists, never with them. Whoever installed yours goofed and so the space between the joists has more bounce than it otherwise would have.

Be sure to leave 1/8" gap between the new sheets, 1/4" at the perimeter and at all solid objects and fasten into the subfloor with 1 1/4" floor screws avoiding the joists. Of course stagger the seams from the old by about 2' or so.

Don't forget the mandatory thin set under the Hardie, proper fasteners and mesh tape for the seams.

Have you evaluated the stiffness of the joists' yet to make sure they're good enough for tile installation?

OOOPs, It would have been better if you had added this question to your other thread since it's the same project. That way we would have seen that this is an attic room and would have seen the other info and comments.

Being an attic it's likely that the joists are not as the main living space. Was probably unfinished and the homeowner just threw down the sheets. (wrong). Wouldn't surprise me if the area was just an attic, the joists may be 2x6", have you checked that?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
jpc (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

underlayment again

thanks for the advice things went well, ill post a pic shortly
jpc is online now   Reply With Quote