Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tub tile

I am doing a small bath remodel. Tub/shower tile and floor tile. I've put in 4 mm plastic then I will have 1/2" cement board. My tub doesn't have a lip so I have attached 2x2's to the studs for the tub to set on. From what I am seeing I should leave 1/8" from the bottom tile to the tube then fill with silicone. How much of a gap should I leave in the corners and should I silicone the corners. Is there a thinset that is best for showers? I am leaning towards 6x6 porcelean tile.
I have a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 trowel is that the proper size?

fishman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

tub tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman1776
I am doing a small bath remodel. Tub/shower tile and floor tile. I've put in 4 mm plastic then I will have 1/2" cement board. My tub doesn't have a lip so I have attached 2x2's to the studs for the tub to set on. From what I am seeing I should leave 1/8" from the bottom tile to the tube then fill with silicone. How much of a gap should I leave in the corners and should I silicone the corners. Is there a thinset that is best for showers? I am leaning towards 6x6 porcelean tile.
I have a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 trowel is that the proper size?
Ok so you have said 2x2 but I'm thinking u typed it wrong it's 2x4 as a ledger for the tub which needs to be leveled 1st, then make your adjustments if it's off level to the 2x4 don't shim the tub.

I can't imagine if this is a tub that there is no tub lip?...

Modified thinset and trowel size is right for tile size but let's get the tub gap lip squared away 1st post some pics tub & wall.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

tub tile

This is my first tub install. The lip curves down I thought going into it that all tubs had a lip that curved up. I set the tub in place today. I did use 2x2's. Will that be strong enough to support the tub? It's not perfectly level it runs down toward the drain, very slight run down. I would send some pics but like I said tub is in place. If you're telling me that there is now way the 2x2's will support the weight then I will uninstall change to 2x4's and send some pics.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

tub tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman1776
This is my first tub install. The lip curves down I thought going into it that all tubs had a lip that curved up. I set the tub in place today. I did use 2x2's. Will that be strong enough to support the tub? It's not perfectly level it runs down toward the drain, very slight run down. I would send some pics but like I said tub is in place. If you're telling me that there is now way the 2x2's will support the weight then I will uninstall change to 2x4's and send some pics.
Well I was taught that 2x4 it to keep the tub from kicking out, it might hold for now but not the long run, I would replace it with a 2x4.

Tubs now are made with the pitch already inside, so therefore you are leveling the tub so your tiles will be plumb and straight also you don't want to feel tilted when inside the tub.

How did you anchor the tub to the wall if it has no lip?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,822

tub tile

Sorry to tell you this---but you have a deck mount tub.

That's why you have no flange.

Those are difficult to seal---there is a stick on rubber cover available---I've seen pictures of it but never needed any--

Uf you can return that tub and get the right one--please do--Mike---
JetSwet (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

tub tile

oh'mike said;

Quote:
Sorry to tell you this---but you have a deck mount tub
Maybe, but probably not. Fishman may have a cast iron tub, which have no flange. Only the cheaper steel tubs have a flange.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
DIY staff

tub tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
oh'mike said;

Maybe, but probably not. Fishman may have a cast iron tub, which have no flange. Only the cheaper steel tubs have a flange.

Jaz

Possibly the case---sounded like a five foot deck mounted tub from the description---

Good catch,Jaz
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

tub tile

It is a deck mounted tub. The tub was in place so I cant return. Is there anyway to make this work really dont have the cash for new tub. I brought one of the walls out 2 inches so I would have at least 1/2 inch of overhang around the tub.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

tub tile

fishman1776

Quote:
It is a deck mounted tub.
How did that happen? How are you gonna use a shower with a deck-mounted tub? Heck, you'd have to install a shower curtain on all 4 sides.

Deck mounted tubs = no shower cuz they also known as a "soaking-tub".

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

tub tile

You got me by the sneakers with this one, I knew somthing wasn't right.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
DIY staff

tub tile

There is a glue on rubber/vinyl flange for sealing the tub from the walls---

I have no idea where to get them--but they do exist---google is your friend--M--