I know this has probably been discussed a 1000 times but I was wondering if someone could verify the correct trowel sizes
1. For putting 1/4 hardie board down over 3/4" subfloor With modified thinset.
2. 12"x12" natural stone on floors ( mainly slate or travertine)
3. 12" x 12" ceramic or porcelain on floors
4. 16x16" on floors.
There is no absolute answer to some of your questions since it may depend on other related factors. However......
1. 1/4x1/4x1/4 is the best choice. Making sure the thin set is a bit thinner than normal.
2. If the floor is to specs the same 1/4" trowel as above, plus back-butter. Keep a 1/4x3/8x1/4 handy. Do you have a double wood subfloor under the Hardie? Are the joists spec'd for natural stone? Most are not unless up-graded.
3. These need 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel.
4. Large tiles required medium bed thin set mortars along with large notched trowel 16", go with 1/2x1/2 or 1/4x1/2x1/4. Probably need to butter too.
TILE GUY - retired- TROY, MI - Method & Product suitability consulting.