Trimming Installed Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Trimming Installed Tile

Is there a good way to trim an inch off the edge of installed tile without breaking up the entire tile? Especially on the larger 18x18 tiles.

I ask because a friend of my just ran into an odd situation while replacing their dishwasher. The previous owner had installed tile in the kitchen with the old dishwasher in place. He or she in fact covered the front feet of the disherwasher in the thin set, and set the top of the tiles even with to slightly higher than than the metal frame on the dishwasher. We were able to cut the frame of the old dishwasher to pull it out. I was thinking that if we could cut the lip of the tile back by 1/2", they would have space to push the new dishwasher in and the cut would be hidden by the dishwasher's trim.

I was thinking an angle grinder and a shop vac would do the job, but be messy. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 4,820

Trimming Installed Tile

Much will depend on the tile---18x18 is most likely a hard porcelain tile--sodiamonds will be needed--

an angle grinder will get most--but the last few inches that the angle grinder can't reach? A multi tool with a diamond cutter might be able to get that--but the cutters I have seen are round--not straight like a wood cutting blade--if you can find a straight diamond cutter you might be successful.

Is there a chance of raising up the counter top?

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 24

Trimming Installed Tile

I have used a Dremel rotary tool with the multipurpose cutting guide attachment and a tile cutting bit (#562) to enlarge a hole on porcelain tiles inside a shower to gain access to the shower valve with great success. The tile cutting bit can cut through the tile with ease. The rotary tool isn't too hard to control as it's small. The cutting guide attachment allow you to set the depth of the cut. I think Dremel also has an attachment head for grout removal which has a 30 or 45 degree angle. If you use a straight edge to guide the dremel rotary tool, it may work.
fkl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #4

Trimming Installed Tile

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm going to head over there tomorrow with all of my tools in tow. I'll let you know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to a_lost_shadow For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-01-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #5

Trimming Installed Tile

We got lucky, the new dishwasher was slightly smaller than the old one. So lifting the counter top 1/4" allowed it to slide right in. Thanks again for the suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to a_lost_shadow For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-03-2015)