Trim Travertine Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trim Travertine Tile

I've got a travertine backsplash that runs from behind my stove all the way up to the microwave (over the range style). I'd like to see about removing roughly an inch from the tile, which would make the installation of our new over the range microwave a bit easier (going from a microwave that is currently 15 3/4 inches in height to a 16 1/2 inch model). Is it possible to use a grinding wheel or something similar to remove the inch or so that I need. Or would I be better off removing the tiles from the wall and reinstalling new one that are cut to the necessary height?

Thanks for your insight!

Advertisement

donmigga83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,692

Trim Travertine Tile

the travertine tiles i worked with cut pretty easy. so, i would say = get a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond wheel. and then carefully go at it. after cutting, a hammer and blade screwdriver to carefully knock the tiles loose.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trim Travertine Tile

I don't know that you even need a diamond wheel but it wouldn't hurt and you will use it for other things. A tile/masonry wheel should work as well.

That said, if you can take the tiles off and install others you will have more control over your cuts with the tiles off the wall.

Are you going to be able to get close enough to the edge with a grinding wheel with the tiles on the wall?

My Fein oscillating tool came with a blade for tile and stone but I have never tried it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Trim Travertine Tile

The cutters for the Muli-tools would be ideal for finishing up the parts that your angle grinder can't get---travertine is very soft---Mike---

A ledger board stuck to the wall with double face foam tape will help keep the cut straight.