Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #1

Share |

Triangular glass blocks and using them on an angle

This isn't a floor question, so apologies for straying off-topic.

I'm looking at using glass blocks to build one wall of custom tile shower stall. The problem is that around 4 feet up from the floor, the wall takes an approximately 45 degree angle on the underside of a staircase. Here is a really bad picture where you can barely see the bottom of the slant. The area where I plan to put a glass block wall would cross over at about the mid length of the old tub depression.

Assuming the angles work out, am I likely to be able find triangular glass blocks like these? This was the only site or picture that I could find for them so far this evening. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to ordering something from Hong Kong...

Another concern is making sure that the seam between the long edges of the triangular pieces and the sloped ceiling/wall is solid and won't allow water from the shower where water shouldn't be.

I think the angles will work out, which will be at least a silver lining to the cloud that is our very steep staircase. But if they don't work out, and I'm left with trying to angle the glass block wall somewhat like this, does anyone have recommendations for what I could put in the triangular spaces that would be left if not triangular glass blocks? Again, it will need to be sturdy for the stability of the wall and as waterproof as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KissMeKate; 06-03-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added a pic
KissMeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

Bumping.

Is there another sub-forum that is a better fit?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

That areas only going to be good for a soaking tub not a shower.
It would be much simpler to just tile it and forget the blocks.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

The picture is not very good, but we've removed a portion of a wall and expanded around the corner where you can't see it in that shot. We aren't trying to put a shower under the slant. We've made room for a shower right next to the slant.

And we are planning on tiling the wall at the top of the picture, where the holes from the old tub faucet can be seen.

If we have to frame the proposed slant wall and then fill a good portion of it with blocks and tile the rest (which is one suggestion I've received) that should work. We'd still get a good bit of ambient light that way, which is why we're looking at using glass blocks in the first place.

I will have a better picture from a few different angles tomorrow.

Last edited by KissMeKate; 06-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.