Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

Share |

travertine vs limestone

I am not sure from a wear and tear prespective if I should use polished travertine or limetsone tile in my shower?
Any special installation or sealing tips

What is a good sealant for polished surfaces such as marble. I have tried 1 or 2 and they dull the polish and and leave a cloudy streaked surface
(tried on spare tile so no perminant damage)

manjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

travertine vs limestone

What type of "wear and tear" do you suppose you could possibly impose on a rock when you are naked and bare footed?

Travertine, sandstone, marble are relatively soft materials as rocks go. Repeated scrubbing wouldn't be recommended. Travertine and limestones do not lend themselves to a high polish and if you do find it polished you can't expect the gloss to last for very long in my opinion. The buildup of mineral deposits over time is going to be your worst enemy. Highly polished marbles will eventually scratch under the strain of repeated cleanings.

If you are not inclined to squeegee your shower walls after each use you are asking for a maintenance nightmare down the road.

Sealers are not the answer and can in fact reduce the gloss of a highly polished stone.

I personally don't like natural stone in showers, it can be very difficult to maintain over time.

Today's market offers porcelain tiles that mimic every stone you can think of and porcelain would be a better choice, especially in a shower. Porcelain has a super low absorption rate and is easy to clean. The density of porcelain makes it much more desirable in such areas.

"Travertine" is the hot word of the day, everyone thinks travertine is some kind of exotic animal that they MUST OWN.

The best thing about everyone installing travertine these days is that it means job security for tile guys down the road. We are all getting geared-up to remove all that travertine and install a much more practical porcelain in its place.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 11-14-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Tile and Paint contractor

travertine vs limestone

I wouldn't use sealer on polished stone.

Rather, use tumbled or brushed stone and seal with a "gloss finish sealer"

As far as maintenance, natural stone requires a little more care because it is porous by nature.
A lot of the cleaners out there designed for ceramic tile can stain or dull stone tiles.
Also stone is more prone to scratching than ceramic/porcelain.

I have seen a lot of porcelain tiles that do a great job of replicating natural stone materials, but there is no comparison to actual REAL stone. No two pieces are alike and the texture has its own appeal.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

travertine vs limestone

Thank you that was a very helpfull reply, and funny too.

I guess I will be one of those return customers in a few years
manjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #5

travertine vs limestone

IMO, the travertine is by far the best choice of the two you mention in a shower situation. The 'limestone' is a category of stone that needs further definition before any statement can be made about suitability. Plus, some limetones won't "polish", so if you are looking for the polished look, this rules some limestones out. But travertine, some say given it's origin, is ideal. Oh, and forget sealing it...

When you say "polished", you are being quite specific in terms of shine in a stone professionals' language..."honed" being the other term we use. But you ask about polished, and therefore the issue of slipperiness come up. Granted some tiles are slippery when wet no matter where they are but in a shower, this must be considered.

But IMO the issue of shower construction is foremost, if you are at the stage of a tear-out, a reconstruction or a "change"; by construction, I mean a proper shower installation, where waterproofing membranes are installed, and where the tiles are properly attached to the wall with the correct grout gap. If this issue isn't considered now, I guarantee it'll be considered later at a much higher cost.

And yes there are maintenance issues that you should be given and adhere to but here again, travertine in a shower is a good choice for that. It is comparatively dense. A good ceiling fan/ventilation would help too.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Tileguy

travertine vs limestone

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote