Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Share |

Travertine over existing tile?

Presently I have 12"X12" ceramic tile on concrete slab in the master bath. My plan is to use liquid nails to adhere 1/4" concrete backerboard to the existing tile then adhere 18"X18" 1/2" travertine tiles on the board. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? Should I use screws as well to adhere the board? Is the board necessary? or should I tile on the tile (it is in good shape - nothing loose or cracked)?
DIY Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Don't do it...you're asking for trouble. Remove the existing tile then install an isolation membrane like Ditra.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Tileguy

DIY Gal,

You need a lot more research before you go ahead with your plan. What you are proposing is very very wrong in several ways and with the investment you are undertaking with travertine you should first educate yourself about recommended installation practices of stone floor tile.

Don't know where you are coming up with this information but none of it is sanctioned by the industry.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #4

You guys are a little tough on a girl. What is wrong with my idea? The sub floor (concrete and ceramic tile) is in tact and solid - not to mention already level. The adjouning master bedroom floor has been raised by the new 3/4" wood floor and 3/4" plywood underlayment, so the overlay of backerboard and travertine will meet almost flush. I am installing a new vanity and toilet (with double wax ring) after the travertine goes in so the height will be fine on those items. The one inch increase in height will look fine as the ceilings are 10' tall.
My concern is about the actual installation of the travertine and the best way to attach the backer board. Any specific ideas?
DIY Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Well...yeah. Ok, go ahead and move forward with your plan, it will work fine. Is that better?

Your methods are no where in line with standard accepted practices...and I doubt you will find soul around here that will give you the green light...but since you're bound to do it any way...the collective "we" wish you nothing but the absolute best!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Tileguy

Good luck and thanks for coming.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote