Transition From Carpet To Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Transition from carpet to tile

Hey guys. I'm sure this is a softball for the experienced floor guys but this is absolutely killing me.

I am remodeling a bathroom. I replaced the top level of subfloor where needed (got lucky in that there is a layer of roof sheathing between the layers of subfloor, and the top layer was actually not in bad shape), replaced the tub, and redid the sheetrock where needed. I am close to the point where I am ready to tile the floor, but I am stuck on how to do the transition. I plan to start at the door since that is the most visible part of the bathroom.

What is the best way to transition to existing carpet, keeping in mind that at some near-future point the carpet will be replaced with hardwood or laminent? I've seen the strips but is that the best way to do it?

Does the strip go over the underlayment?

The tile will probably be about 1/2-3/4 in above the carpet when done. Hard to know where the hard flooring will wind up, or even when we will do it.

I don't know why but this has me stuck. I can't figure out how to do it or even what to search on to Google it.

Advertisement

SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

There should be a threshold sitting in that opening to run the tile from.
Commonly done with marble, but hardwood will also work.
You do not want to be seeing two different flooring types when the doors closed.

Advertisement

SC Tiger (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There should be a threshold sitting in that opening to run the tile from.
Commonly done with marble, but hardwood will also work.
You do not want to be seeing two different flooring types when the doors closed.
Thanks. That is the kind of info I am looking for.

I will probably use marble or something similar as the carpet is still in place.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,460

Marble might not be the best choice since your tile is higher than the level of the other floor. Marble is best when the 2 surfaces are level.

You can use a hardwood transition that has a slope to it, but you might need to adjust this after the hardwood goes in. Another alternative is a transition such as the type Schluter makes. Some of these are available at Home Depot, or you local pro tile store, or you can order. You can see some of them here.

http://www.schluter.com/137.aspx
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

I would use the Schluter SCHIENE and place it under the center of the door. Call it quits at that point until the wood goes in. Elevations should be close to matching that way. Probably won't be perfect.
http://www.schluter.com/2171.aspx
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,460

Out of curiosity, why would you recommend Schiene over Reno, since Schiene is specifically designed for floor finishes at the same height?

Another option is to leave out the last row of tile that goes under the door for now, but plan for their placement. Then when the hardwood goes in you will know exactly what height you're dealing with. Or, get ahold of a piece of the flooring you're going to use, peel back the carpet and test out the height right now.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

I got a metal transition but may take another look at the Schiene. It looks like I could put another transition over it later if I need to.

Advertisement