Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Was told to buy Acrylpro

I have a 13x13 foyer that I am wanting to tile. I have already measured and cut the backerboard to fit the area. I am aware that I am going to have to use the thinset under the backerboard and then screw down. Here is where my problem is.....I was told to use the AcrylPro to lay the tile, but every where I have looked on the internet is saying DO NOT use or you will be replacing or taking up tile and starting over. Can someone tell me the EXACT name of what ever it is that I need to use to lay the tile? I have a couple of bags that the "Home Depot" guy to me to get before I was told to get the AcrylPro. Help

gcushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Was told to buy Acrylpro

You never mentioned what size or type of tile you are using----However the acrylpro is not a product to use--That is a premixed mastic---about the worst thing to use on a floor.

You want to use a modified thinset---comes in a bag as a powder--gets mixed with water using a strong drill and a mixing wand.

Bud Cline has a blog on this site titled MUD WHAT IS IT--or something like that--read that,nice explanation of thinset.

Let us know what tile or stone you are installing and someone here will give you an exact answer.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Was told to buy Acrylpro

also.... what did the HD guy give you? It MAY be the right stuff! LOL
But... like Mike said.... more info needed, read Bud's Mud list, ask if you need to here, and you'll get what you need to do it right.

DM
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but the tiles are 12x12 ceramic. The bags that I have are Versabond, custom blend standard thinset and polyblend sanded grout.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Tileguy

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Gee, you're a person of few words.

So you're saying you have two types of thin set plus the Acrylpro? The Versabond is a decent modified mortar you can use to set the backer board and to install the tiles. The Custom Blend is a very cheap unmodified thin set, most of the professionals here refuse to use it in their own homes, but you can get away with using it for the backer. What brand backer do you have?

The Acrylpro belongs on those orange shelves hopefully to collect dust. The people who gave you advice should be doing something else.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Was told to buy Acrylpro

So.....I can use the Versabond to lay the tiles??? Do I mix it as the same consistency as I do for the backerboard??? Or is there something better to use for the tiles? I will let you tell me what to use
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Tileguy

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Cushy,

Quote:
So.....I can use the Versabond to lay the tiles???
Yes of course, that's what I just said, no need for question marks (?)

The consistency to set tiles is about like peanut butter, or mashed potatoes. (but no lumps) It should be thinner to install the concrete backer. Don't forget the mesh tape for the seams and of course fasteners. What are you going to use as fasteners?

Better thin set? Versabond will work, just fine for 12" ceramic or porcelain tiles. If they were larger or natural stone, I would recommend something else.

One thing I would not do is to do give my money a company that doesn't care who they hire and so these nice people go ahead and just wing it. Paint department one day, tile expert the next. I can't tell you how many get wrong advise from those stores. Actually they may be one reason these tile forums exist.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 12-01-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #8

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, and if this turns out good, I may go ahead and tackle my kitchen and bathroom
****And by the way, the "Home Depot" guy never said anything about buying tape and using it for the seams Thanks for telling me that also I know I can do this, I have until the 21st to get it done before my husband gets home
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #9

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Oh, I am using sheet rock screws for the backerboard.....or are those the wrong ones also?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,004

Was told to buy Acrylpro

You can do this but make sure you get all the info you need and a good understanding of the techniques you are using before you start. Tiling is one of those things that looks fairly easy but there is a lot to know before you start. Then more to learn as you are doing it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Tileguy

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Do not use sheet rock screws. The heads are wrong, they are not strong enough, the heads can snap off, they will start to rust the second the thin set touches them. Use the specific screws for the backer brand you have, ( which is it?), or you can use 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" hot dipped roofing nails.

Jaz

Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #12

Was told to buy Acrylpro

It is the Hardiebacker
Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Was told to buy Acrylpro

gcushy,

There are specially-coated screws to be used with backerboards. Some are name-specific but not always easy to find. Go to the screw department and buy "cement board screws", the boxes are clearly marked. The screws will be gray in color, they will have a larger head than drywall screws. The screws will also have dual threads, one high one low and little nubs under the head that help to "set" the screw heads in the cement board. Buy the screws with the "square drive" DON'T BUY THE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS. It will go better for you if you use a 1/2" low RPM drill motor for a screw gun, low speed and high torque is much to your benefit. Coated roofing nails are less expensive, less fatiguing and much faster.

There is also a seam tape available that is "alkali resistant" that should be used for taping cement board seams. Sometimes it is stocked with the cement board and sometimes it is stocked with the drywall supplies. The tape is a MUST! Install the tape just ahead of placing the thinset when tiling, this way you won't have any dry humps to cause the tiles to teeter.

Keep asking questions here and you'll do great. If you don't know or don't understand something...ASK. We are glad to help.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #14

Was told to buy Acrylpro

Ok guys, I have one more question.... what size trowel do I use for the tile thinset? I have 1/4 but that may not be the right one.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Tileguy

Was told to buy Acrylpro

You're right, 1/4x1/4 is too small, I recommend a 1/4x3/8x1/4" for your basic 12" tile. It's very important to mix the thin set correctly and spread using the right technique. Do you know the right technique?

After applying a few tiles, you should remove one right away to check for at least 85% adhesive transfer. May need to adjust technique or change trowel if you do not get that amount of transfer.

BTW, Hardie really sucks, so it's a good idea to either mist or damp sponge it just prior to spreading thin set.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
gcushy (12-29-2010)