Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling wood-stove heat shield

I have a H5'xL7' cinder-block wall behind my wood-stove to reduce clearance to the combustible wall. I was planning to cover it with a load of random tile (mostly 12x12 & 16x16) and assorted stone samples (12x12) from a friend who's mother was downsizing her interior design business.

The cinder block wall is not perfectly straight, some of the blocks are maybe 1/4” or so out of plumb with each other. I'm not concerned about lippage or other aesthetic issues, mostly about getting enough of a bond between the wall and the heavier stones. Is there a special thinset that can be used with stone/tile that I can apply relatively thickly? I was thinking of getting a bag of this http://www.homedepot.com/Custom-Buil...&storeId=10051

Considering this is going to be behind a wood-stove, are there any thin-sets that should be avoided? The tile would top out at about 200f under extreme conditions but normally be around 150f or so.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by shadetree; 03-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote