Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 278

Tiling step

When tiling a single step (12 by 12 ceramic)what techniques are used on the front edges where they meet , where many step onto and what type adhesive and grout,size notch?
Its at entrance into bathroom from other room.
Any info is appreciated

hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Tiling step

I have used a through-porcelain and just put the tread on top of the riser, with an 1/8 joint there.

If you don't like this, you can go with the Treppe (step) profile from Schlueter. Maybe there are other manufacturers of profiles out there who offer a stair edge profile as well.

As far as what is underneath, I have just used 2x8 risers and 2x10 treads spanning 3' with a wall on either side. On top of the lumber I mortared on denshield and tiled on this.

I've had no problems and the installation is very solid.

You can use a 3/8" trowel.

As far as grouting, there isn't much used. It is all caulk in the changes of plane, so you only have grout in the horizontal and vertical joints on the treads and risers and skirt.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 278

Tiling step

I also meant to ask if i use fortified or un fortified adhesive and would i need sanded grout instead of unsanded if there is a wider size space between the tiles?
I will be matching up to floor ,above single step, horizontally, and need to keep it about same as far as tile spacing .
I dont have side support as in a wall on left/right ,just the one its facing,and will be tiling sides also.
Thanks for the info..
hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 606

Tiling step

Use a modified latex mortar, sanded grout, and a matched sanded caulk.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote