Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling a Shower Wall

Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and am getting close to tiling the wall of the shower. I plan on using Hardibacker 500 on the walls behind the tile. My question is about waterproofing.

I have seen people recommend something behind the hardibacker, while others recommend something in front of it (like RedGuard or Kerdi).

The manufacturer itself seems to recommend installing without any vapor barrier or water proofing at all.

I would very much appreciate any help or advise on the best method of moving forward. Currently, the plumbing is roughed in, and the studs are still bare, so I can do anything I want

Thanks in advance

Mike

MikeDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Tiling a Shower Wall

Hardibacker is not water proof, grout is not water proof.
Why allow the water to work it's way through the CBU?
Water proof the face of the backer board.

MikeDobbs (06-24-2014), oh'mike (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

Tiling a Shower Wall

OK- that is my gut feeling as well. How about the different methods?

Would you recommend Kerdi or Redguard? Or are there other options?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDobbs
OK- that is my gut feeling as well. How about the different methods? Would you recommend Kerdi or Redguard? Or are there other options?
As long as your shower walls aren't also exterior walls then redgaurd over cement board 2-3 coats.
You can not have a moisture or vapor barrier behind the cement board when you redgaurd or kerdi over.

Kerdi gets thinset to adhere to cement board wile redgaurd gets painted on.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
MikeDobbs (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

Tiling a Shower Wall

OK- sounds good. Just out of curiosity- why does it matter if on an exterior wall?

Also- I have seen some comments online that the redguard doesn't adhere well to CBU. Is that simply an error on the part of the person using it? Are there any special precautions or steps I should take to ensure good adherence? It makes me a little nervous to think of the weight of all my tiles hanging from the painted on surface
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

Tiling a Shower Wall

Use Densshield tile backer.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #7

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
OK- sounds good. Just out of curiosity- why does it matter if on an exterior wall? Also- I have seen some comments online that the redguard doesn't adhere well to CBU. Is that simply an error on the part of the person using it? Are there any special precautions or steps I should take to ensure good adherence? It makes me a little nervous to think of the weight of all my tiles hanging from the painted on surface
Because exterior walls will have a felt paper behind the siding or some sort of vapor barrier and will need to cut slits so air can circulate or you will get what's called mold sandwich.

Redgaurd makes a mess regardless, it's nasty stuff.... Thick, you apply thinset taped seams 1st then let dry then do entire cement board.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Redgaurd makes a mess regardless, it's nasty stuff.... Thick, you apply thinset taped seams 1st then let dry then do entire cement board.

OK- here's an important followup question:

One wall of my shower is "along" an exterior wall. I say "along," because I built a wall in front of the original exterior wall to house the plumbing for that side of the shower (this way I wouldn't have any plumbing in the exterior wall).

The actual exterior wall is insulated (with the backing removed from the insulation), then closed off with particleboard. Then, I framed another 7'x8' wall and attached it to the existing wall. The second wall is the one that houses the plumbing, and the one that I will be tiling. Do I need to be concerned about this issue given the way I have constructed the second interior wall?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Tiling a Shower Wall

I've read online that another option for dealing with water intrusion is to install 4mil or thicker plastic sheeting on the studs behind the hardibacker.

Is this a viable method? Any drawbacks? Seems to me that this would be a much easier way to proceed as compared with RedGaurd.

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #10

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
I've read online that another option for dealing with water intrusion is to install 4mil or thicker plastic sheeting on the studs behind the hardibacker. Is this a viable method? Any drawbacks? Seems to me that this would be a much easier way to proceed as compared with RedGaurd. Thanks in advance for your opinions
You can install mil plastic behind cement board and will protect wood studs from moisture and water but if you have a leak behind tile you will have to replace cement board.
The choice is yours to do it that way or redguard it "BUT" you can not do both .
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #11

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
You can install mil plastic behind cement board and will protect wood studs from moisture and water but if you have a leak behind tile you will have to replace cement board.

My understanding is that the Hardibacker 500 material does not degrade when exposed to moisture. Is that incorrect?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #12

Tiling a Shower Wall

Certainly not a Pro, or even an expert - but Redgaurd was really easy to apply for me. (I did 3 coats) . I would rather keep the moisture away from the Cement board. While the moisture may not destroy the board - I would think it would take forever to dry out if wet once the tile is up.
tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #13

Tiling a Shower Wall

Quote:
My understanding is that the Hardibacker 500 material does not degrade when exposed to moisture. Is that incorrect?
Won't degrade like brake and crumble but water can and will seep through just like a sidewalk or drive way.