Tiling Saw Preference -which One? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling Saw Preference -which one?

I have a small tiling job to do. Small to most, big to me but I do need a saw to make a few cuts. I have a choice between an MK Diamond 170 or a Ridgid R4020. Both are entry level wet tile saws in the $200 range. I'm not a professional. This saw will be used for single projects and not used every day or to make a living with. Thats for the pro's here that will say their both crap and not worth the money. I just need to make a few straight cuts and a couple of 45's to picture frame some 1" pencil tiles around a small tile mural. This is what I can afford and thought either would do the job. Hoping that someone here has had experience with either of these saws and is willing to state a preference.

Advertisement

foiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Both will work, but for that small a job I'd just buy a small table saw type model.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #3

I believe both of these are small table top, portable saws. I did see a couple of cheaper ones under $100. The construction on them where quite flimsy and the power very low, about 1/3 hp or less. I'd be afraid to get them wet. They might dissolve.
foiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I have a cheap Ryobi I think. It didn't come with a stand and uses the hose/water pressure to spray water (rather than a pump that nicely recirculates the water). It's a bit messier and I'd have liked a nicer one, but couldn't justify the cost considering I'm only using it for a few jobs around the house. As long as it has a sliding fence, you should be fine imo. Even the cheapest wet saw will do better than an angle grinder or scoring tile cutter imo.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

I have the $100 one. My dad bought it when we tiled their condo. We did a bathroom, small kitchen and a 14' x 15' hallway all with 12x12 tile - a decent amount of cuts. The saw held up fine.

My wife and I Just finished the backsplash in our kitchen last weekend - used the same saw. I did have to spring for a new blade, but the saw did the job and I made a pretty good amount of cuts since I used 3" x 6" subway tile.

Next spring I'll redo our 1/2 bath and use the saw again - I think it'll be fine for that project also. Beyond that ... not so sure.

For the record, I used it 2 days for each job, and at the end of each day I hosed it off with a garden hose and let it dry overnight - no problems.

If you are just doing a few weekend jobs I wouldn't worry about it.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

I bought a cheap ($89) Husky wet table saw from Home depot about 6 years ago.

I've done ~400 sq ft in my condo, another 100 sq ft in my house (cutting 12X12 slate into subway tile), and just finished my 3rd bathroom in my second house. For a diy'er I don't think you need to spend much.

I replaced the blade before starting my 3rd bathroom and it almost cost as much as my entire saw LOL.
MANGINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

if you only need to do a few cuts just rent one
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I just bought a Ryobi at H.D. for about $90. Tabletop - came with 7" blade, knee pads, trowel, sponge, float. I just redid the floor to my bathroom with it. Did a nice job.

Advertisement

mikeyp78 is offline   Reply With Quote