Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

tiling with PL premium

My husband and I have done a lot of tiling and for some reason he now wants to use PL premium instead of thinset. This are large (18" stone tiles) on walls and he says that the PL premium is stronger. I think he's crazy especially in a bathroom setting. I can't find anything about using PL premium in that task except with small repair jobs. This is a big job-two commercial bathrooms with 4 showers, toilet stalls etc.
Thanks for any info

tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:52 AM   #2

tiling with PL premium

You would contact the company directly to get THE answer.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #3

tiling with PL premium

If it is a big commercial job what do the specs say? I doubt that will go over well with the GC or any inspectors.
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4

tiling with PL premium

Thinset is the way to go. Construction adhesive has its place and tiling certainly is not it. What on earth is his justification?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #5

tiling with PL premium

thanks for responding. I did contact the Henkle folks(maker of PL premium) and they say no way, which is what I was thinking. I have no idea why he is stuck (no pun intended) on using it in this application as we have always used thinset with much success. Maybe if I can get a guy friend to convince him. (perhaps it's just a mars to venus miscommunication)
Tonia
tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #6

tiling with PL premium

You might want to tell him that someone here suspects PL Premium adhesives cure via solvent evaporation, and if the tile is absorbent at all, the adhesion will be OK - but there's a chance you'll have marks on the front of the tile exactly where the PL was put on the back...it's a risk, maybe small, but significant enough that his reputation will ride on it all the way till it fails. Most people can't afford the cost? time? nuisance? that it might save.

Thinset dries differently, that's why it is used.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote