Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling over Structolite- Primer Required?

Hello,
I have just finished plastering my (dry area) bathroom walls using Structolite. Should I apply a coat of primer/ sealer to the Structolite before I tile? If so what product would you recommend?
More Information:
-The Structolite has a light texture to it (similar to exterior stucco).
-I will be using 3" x 6" subway tiles (3/8" thick) adhered using VersaBond Fortified Thin-Set Mortar.
Many Thanks,
Ben

Bhfs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Ben,

Your substrate is a gypsum coating and so I would treat it as Custom Building Products recommends you prepare gypsum and light weight concrete. While you're the HD, pick up some Redgard.

Prime the Structolite with a diluted primer consisting of 1:4 Redgard/water. If the surface is very porous, apply a second coat. At this point you can spread the Versabond or any other modified thin set and set the tiles. Or you can apply neat coats of Redgard for the purpose of waterproofing or crack isolation, prior to setting the tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Many thanks JazMan,
I did just as you said by applying one coat 1:4 diluted Redgard followed by one coat of neat Redgard. So far the thin-set is going on well and not drying out too quickly.
Thanks again,
Ben
Bhfs100 is offline   Reply With Quote