Tiling Over Old Floor - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Tiling over old floor

I want to tile a room in my parents' house. The current flooring is about 35 years old, some sort of old glued-on tile (best i can tell). It's very thin. I am not sure if there is any backerboard underneath it or if they are adhered right to the wood subfloor.

What is the best/easiest way to do it? Can I get 1/4" hardiboard , screw it down (mortar too?) to the old tile and just put porcelain/ceramic right on top of it? Raising the floor 1/2" to 3/4" should be ok.

Also, how do I cut curves in tile? I have a rotozip, is that a decent tool for the job?

This will be the first time I've ever tiled anything, so I appreciate the advice.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Tiling over old floor

Knock the old tile off the floor--You will find that it will bounce right off--scrape the floor as clean as can be---set your Durrock in thinset (1/4" is all you need) --screw it down--ready to go.

Let us know what the floor structure is--Plywood/OSB--floor joist size and span.

Roto Zips make terrible tile cutting tools----what sort of curve are you hoping to cut?

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Tiling over old floor

THe joists are 2x8s, I believe 16"oc. Plywood floor, I think (I need to go there to check for sure).

If that tile doesn't come off easily, can I put backerboard right on top of it? I need to curve around the bottom of the stairs, the bottom step widens and has a curve around the edge.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote