Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling over fiberglass

Brand new and want to thank in advance for any help given!

Recently redid our bathroom. New tub, new tile, the works! It's gorgeous! Well almost.

When installing the fiberglass jacuzzi tub, we rested the hardibacker on top of the flange. When tiling, we went with decorative 2 inch glass tile placed directly on top of the fiberglass flange. 18inch tile went above. Waited the adhesive manufactures recommended drying time. Grouted and It looked great!

A few days pass and the grout between the glass tile is crumbling. Everywhere else holds up fine.

Today I pulled out the small tile with intentions of redoing and discover the adhesive on the fiberglass was still pasty (not dried) and didnt adhere well.

So my question is, can I use mortar on the fiberglass to reattach the glass tiles? Or what would you recommend? Thank you!
Attached Images

Diyerwacause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #2

Tiling over fiberglass

I never would have installed a small detail tile at the bottom, to many grout lines that can leak.
The tile should have been about 1/4 from the tubs edge and caulking used not grout.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Tiling over fiberglass

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately the entire bathroom has already been tiled which makes removing and correcting placement a no go. Do you see another option for correction and allowing for a pleasing appearance?

Funny, you should mention the grout as I did specifically ask at our home improvement if we should use a sanded or synthetic grout in the tub area. Sanded was recommended :s
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
DIY staff

Tiling over fiberglass

You should have set the entire tile job with a powdered modified thinset---what did you use?

I didn't see the glass tiles in your picture--only what appears to be a wide band of white caulk

Could you take a picture from farther back that shows the detail tile better?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Tiling over fiberglass

Grout is never used where tile changes direction or comes in contact with a differet material.
Sanded grout would only be used in the field of tiles with spacing of 1/4" or more. Never at the tub to tile area.
If you used sanded grout for the rest of the tiles you could have bought sanded caulking in a matching color.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Tiling over fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diyerwacause View Post
Unfortunately the entire bathroom has already been tiled which makes removing and correcting placement a no go. Do you see another option for correction and allowing for a pleasing appearance?

Funny, you should mention the grout as I did specifically ask at our home improvement if we should use a sanded or synthetic grout in the tub area. Sanded was recommended :s
now or later you will have to fix it right sorry ...ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Tiling over fiberglass

We used Mapei Type 1 tile adhesive.

I had already removed all the small tiles but placed a section back in for sample purposes in this photo.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #8

Tiling over fiberglass

Thank you for all replies, even the unpleasant to hear (starting over)

Dh says the flange presented problems for him as it was beveled. He says the center was approx 1/2 inch and went to 1/4 towards the sides.

Is this salvageable? What would you do if it was yours? How do we address the beveled flange?

Thank you for all the advice!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
DIY staff

Tiling over fiberglass

Got you!!!

Wrong goop---that is an organic adhesive and should not have been used in a wet area---

As you learned the hard way---it will re-emulsify when it gets wet---

Clean out the gap very well---then use a white modified thinset---"Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Might be you have to add a coat first if the mosaic is thinner than the field tile---then thinset in the mosaic---

You must use a flexible caulk where the tile meets the tub---Grout matching caulks are available--

If you must add a layer of mud before you set the tiles---make a gauged spreader by cutting a cheap plastic putty knife--notch the edge so that it rides on the field tile--and leaves the right amount of thinset on the wall below the field tile.---Mike--
Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
DIY staff

Tiling over fiberglass

If you had this to do over--(which is not a likely option)--there should have been field tile at the tub--

Often ,if the rolled edge prevents placement flat to the wall, grinding away the back of the tile is needed--

A little bitty tile against the tub is seldom a good choice---to much difficulty getting it flat and straight--

and a lot of movement happens tight there--all in all a weak choice---
Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #11

Tiling over fiberglass

Quote:
Brand new and want to thank in advance for any help given!

When installing the fiberglass jacuzzi tub, we rested the hardibacker on top of the flange.

Incorrect info removed
Quote:
When tiling, we went with decorative 2 inch glass tile placed directly on top of the fiberglass flange.
I had to fix something like this once before. I had to sand down the gelcoat on the exposed fiberglass to give it some tooth(assuming it is that, it may be acrylic or Styrene). Once that was done I used silicone adhesive to bond the tiles. (do not use siliconized latex). Once done, I had to use a colored caulk for the grout line as the different expansion rates of the tub surround and the tile backer made it imposible to keep grout in the joint between the two. This was on 1/2" mosiac tile.

Last edited by danpik; 02-02-2012 at 09:03 AM.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
DIY staff

Tiling over fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
[/color]
This is where the problems started. The tile backer should have come down over the flange. You needed to shim out the wall studs to make it plumb.
[/color]
Actually --stopping the backer above the flange is the recommended method.

The resulting gap is then filled with modified thinset as the tile is installed--

Shimming out the walls in the tub area causes a misalignment problem where the backer meets the drywall---
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #13

Tiling over fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Actually --stopping the backer above the flange is the recommended method.

The resulting gap is then filled with modified thinset as the tile is installed--

Shimming out the walls in the tub area causes a misalignment problem where the backer meets the drywall---

OK, I guess I am wrong here. I will remove the incorrect info.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Tiling over fiberglass

When I shim, I shim all three walls so there is no offset at the drywall.
Never trust anyones advice at the box stores unless you know them.
I've figure out how knows what. Some of the the semi retired people that work there used to be contractors, plumbers, electritions, flooring guys.
You can tell the flooring guys, they all have bad knees and walk with a limp. lol
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
DIY staff

Tiling over fiberglass

You calling me a gimp!!!!!