Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 AM   #1

Share |

Tiling over existing tiles

Hoping someone can help me here. I am getting my bathroom done up. The guy who is doing the tiling is of the view that he will be able to put the new tiles over the existing one's. Can someone advise if there are any pro's/cons to using this method. Should I insist that he removes the existing tiles? HELP!

cheti111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 AM   #2

If the tile is fairly smooth texture not slick. Yes I have seen it done with good success, I personally laid 12" ceramic tiles in my main bathroom over a resilient flooring about 6 years ago and it is still looking good. Quite a bit of labor savings. Your floor will of course be raised a bit. The finished job most likely would not last quite as long as it would if it was laid directly on the underlayment, but if well done should have a good service life. The maina reson to do it is labor savings. Your tile guy will want more money is you insist on the removal. You may want to get pricing for both ways and that may help you decide what you should do.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply MgMopar. What is confusing that the original quote that he had given me includes a charge for £192 tile removal (16 sq metres @£12/sq metre). Having started the work and discovered some plaster board at the back of some tiles, he seems to have changed his mind and wants to lay the new tiles over the existing tiles. The existing tiles are indeed fairly smooth. Also this only refers to the wall tiles. The floor tiles have been successfully removed and the new ceramic tiles to be put on shortly. Once again, many thanks for the reply.
cheti111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #4

I will say I have never seen it done on wall tiles? I am not sure how this will work out.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #5

Yes you can tile over existing wall tiles although personally I don't like the idea.
The old tiles should be rubbed over with emery to provide a key for the adhesive.

shufti
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #6

You can tile ontop of tiles with no problems but the tiles underneath must be sound. Ensure that the new tiles and old tiles are offset so that the gaps between tiles do not match up.

It looks awful in my opinion and it is often best to remove the old tiles first.
alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Tile and Paint contractor

That's right, so long as the existing tiles are free of cracks and structurally sound.
Do NOT install tile over linoleum. You need to remove that before installing tile.
But tile over tile is ok. For floor and wall applications. TCA ok's it.

I'd run a carborundum disc over existing to scarcify the tile and get any dirt and grime off, to provide better adhesion.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #8

Am going to start tiling over old tile in a bathroom. Can anone tell me the best solution for the transition from the carpet in the hallway to the new tile hieight in the batroom? Also, will the toliet require a new flange to accomodate the new tile hieght?

Thanks

JAck
jtbrtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbrtc View Post
Am going to start tiling over old tile in a bathroom. Can anone tell me the best solution for the transition from the carpet in the hallway to the new tile hieight in the batroom? Also, will the toliet require a new flange to accomodate the new tile hieght?

Thanks

JAck

Best solution depends some what on what style they make metal and wood transition strips. Go to your local home store flooring department and let them know what height difference you are working with. I am pretty sure they will be able to show you various styles of transition strips. As for the toilet the wax ring that seals it is available in many thickness and styles. You should be able to use a slightly thicker wax ring with new mounting bolts as long as your old flange is still solid.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #10

yes you can go over the top of them, I would make sure that you put wire ancors in the wall before redoing it

IceT is offline   Reply With Quote