Tiling Over Existing Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling over existing tile

I'm getting ready to retile my shower. The existing tile is well adhered to a stucco backer with metal mesh reinforcement, The existing tiles are securely adhered. However they are very glossy.
I know I should sand them to knock the gloss down. What type of thinset or mastic would be the best to use going over these existing tiles with new porcelain tiles?

Advertisement

E herbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by E herbez
I'm getting ready to retile my shower. The existing tile is well adhered to a stucco backer with metal mesh reinforcement, The existing tiles are securely adhered. However they are very glossy.
I know I should sand them to knock the gloss down. What type of thinset or mastic would be the best to use going over these existing tiles with new porcelain tiles?
Sounds like your walls were floated tile, not shore if you can tile over tile on that but reguardles you will have to deglaze the prior tiles and use a utraflex mortar. It's chancy in my book but I'm anti tile & tile jobs anyway....it's like playing the lotto! it's exiting to play but you never win.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 746

I'd pass on that job if someone offered it to me. Not worth taking the chance.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

That one sounds like a mess waiting to be finished.

How are you going to treat the exposed edges? Won't you see the edge of the old tiles?

How about the hole you will have from changing the shower mixing valve?

If you do this--make your own modified thinset."Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
JetSwet (08-30-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Save yourself the service calls. It's going to be more trouble down the road than it's worth.

From your description you have what's called a mud job. Before wonder board/Durock came around a tile setter put up drywall, tar paper, lath and then used sand mix to make a build up substrate then tiled over the "stucco". my advice is do it right. Rip out the old tile/mud bed. Use Durock or wonder board and tile over that. If you dont you're just asking for trouble down the road. It may look good and hold up for a few months even a year but eventually it's going to crack or you'll have loose tiles and you'll be back at that job fixing or trying to fix tiles every few months. It's a can of worms waiting to happen. Been there done that.

Just my $0.02
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

It's just like bringing back plaster walls, it's better left in the past. I have listen to Adam Carrolla's podcast and how he raves about floating tile, it's amazing how people still think it the best method.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote