Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling my nightmare bathroom

Hey all!

The old guy that was doing our bathroom really botched the job. I eventually had to fire the guy, and I guess now I have to do things by myself. LOL

He wanted to tile over 2 existing layers of tile, and I thought that sounded stupid. I removed all the old tile around the tub (note the floor was already laid.) and now I am having a heck of a time getting rid of the thinset.

I am a NOOB when it comes to this, so please forgive me. I guess I have to remove the thinset, right? Or, can a person just apply new thinset?

I tried using a scraper, sander, and chisel. It is a hell of a time, and I was thinking there has to be an easier way. I don't mind to chisel everything out, but if there is an easier way, I'll do it.

Thoughts anyone? Here are some pictures for fun:

IMG_1015 by Jason Sandeman, on Flickr

IMG_1021 by Jason Sandeman, on Flickr

IMG_1020 by Jason Sandeman, on Flickr

IMG_1017 by Jason Sandeman, on Flickr

welldonechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Hello Jason,
Ummm?... Is the boxed in thing suppose to be the tub? Not shore what that is, maybe describe the bathroom area more or post pics farther away. Thanks

You can rent a belt sander w/ fine grits sanding sheet.

Do you know what type of ply that is?
Not seeing any water proofing that was used which is recommended highly for bathroom tile
Or at least cement board for better tile bond.

Are you taking the floor up as well? This can end up from bad to worse. So post up do detailed info on this so we can better understand your situation.
Thanks!

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Hello Jason,
Ummm?... Is the boxed in thing suppose to be the tub? Not shore what that is, maybe describe the bathroom area more or post pics farther away. Thanks

You can rent a belt sander w/ fine grits sanding sheet.

Do you know what type of ply that is?
Not seeing any water proofing that was used which is recommended highly for bathroom tile
Or at least cement board for better tile bond.

Are you taking the floor up as well? This can end up from bad to worse. So post up do detailed info on this so we can better understand your situation.
Thanks!
Ah, I see I didn't get all my pics in. It is indeed the tub box. The tub has a box around it that has an overhang with a light. The plywood is 3/4", unless I miss my guess.

The floor is the "new" floor. The pic I posted shows what the grout is doing now less than 2 years later - despite a protective coat.

So, a belt sander will get rid of that?
welldonechef is offline   Reply With Quote