Tiling Masonry Fireplace - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling masonry fireplace

Nearing the end of our project, the wife decides she wants to re-do the fireplace. In our last place we painted over the already painted brick, which worked fine. In this one, since the walls are already done, and I don't want to paint, we're thinking of facing with tile.

Fireplace is all masonry, built for wood but now has a gas insert. Just had the upper chimney rebuilt by an expert, so I know the thing is solid and safe, so I just want some pointers on prepping the brick to accept tile, hopefully a natural stone tile like slate. Things I should look for? Ideas to make it easier?

Thanks!

Advertisement

thewoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Tiling masonry fireplace

If the brick work is flat you should be able to tile over that using a modified thinset--

Post a picture if you can--someone will be able to offer exact methods,if you do.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Tiling masonry fireplace

oh'mike, it's taken me a while to find time to shoot an image, so here it is. I think it's pretty straightforward, and the brick is intact and in plane, so it should be easy (!) to get a nice even surface. BTW, the screen is just sitting there, not attached in any way.

Can I extend the tile back slightly into the firebox, or should it stay on the face only?
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
DIY staff

Tiling masonry fireplace

You are lucky there--That is a good candidate for tile---

You can wrap the brick to cover the exposed bit in the fire box,But I don't recommend it--If you put on a fireplace door --that edge will be hidden.

A clean mitered edge would be called for--they aren't easy without a top notch saw--might make the work harder than needed.

You will want to build a temporary 'bridge' inside the opening to hold the tiles above the opening while they set.

Visit contractor talk and look up John Whipple-He's a bath guy who also does fireplaces--inspiring work. (screen name JohnFRWhipple)

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
DIY staff

Tiling masonry fireplace

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

John has a video,complete with cheesy music-(his description,not mine)--Mike---
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Tiling masonry fireplace

Thanks. I may shift to ceramic instead of stone, and then use a roundover or bullnose to create the frame around the opening, which will cover up the exposed edges. Can't seem to gain access to contractortalk.com, but I'll try again later.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Tiling masonry fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoodguy View Post
Thanks. I may shift to ceramic instead of stone, and then use a roundover or bullnose to create the frame around the opening, which will cover up the exposed edges. Can't seem to gain access to contractortalk.com, but I'll try again later.
I think you're on the right track.

2 winters ago I pulled some crappy white ceramic tile off our old brick fireplace & hearth, and installed 1x1 iridescent glass tile that I got from (gasp, gawd forbid...) Home Depot.

I used a poly-modified thinset, as oh'mike mentioned. Honestly, the biggest painus in the anus was getting a good smooth coat over the brick, then making sure it didn't come up between the tiles (they're 1/8th" thick). Other than that, I used unsanded grout (to not scratch the tiles) and called it a day.

My wife is very happy with it, so obviously I'm happy.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3796713_n.jpg
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
DIY staff

Tiling masonry fireplace

Depending on your access to tools and your skill level---You can easily make your own bullnose on marble using wood working tools. (not granite--to hard--diamonds for that)

A hand held belt sander--using progressively finer grits will give you the round over--then a buffing wheel and wax for a nice polish--

Pick up a scrap of marble some time and give it a try---Even if you don't use it on this project --it's a handy skill to learn.

I make clocks as a hobby--they make nice gifts----I've used marble inset banding with a rolled edge as decorations---Every one seems to like the touch---Mike--
Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #9

Tiling masonry fireplace

Limestone makes for a great fireplace. It is through and through the same product and no trims or bullnoses are needed / unless you want to add to the look of the fireplace. American Olean offers great products that are limestone or look like limestone tiles. Glass mosaics are also very popular... and come in many colors and sizes. Oceanside Glass has incredible products for an awesome fireplace.
highonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

Tiling masonry fireplace

Just looking over this thread again. Why "modified" thinset as opposed to standard or rapid set? Does brick required the modified to set properly?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Tiling masonry fireplace

It's taken awhile, but here's the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling masonry fireplace-fp.jpg  

Last edited by thewoodguy; 03-16-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
cjj

Tiling masonry fireplace

I am wanting to know if it is okay to put the metal lath over the hardie board i have installed around my fireplace. If so can i use a different type of screws to go through the metal lath. I orignally was just going to put the natural veneer stone on the hardie board , but i have decided to put up the metal lath and put a scratch coat on it now. Any helpful hints would be great...

Advertisement

cjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fireplace decorating , stone tile