Tiling Layout - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tiling layout

I've got yet another couple questions about tiling (hopefully the last as I'm just about done with this 6 month long utility room remodel!)

1) The room I'm tiling is a long skinny one, that's not a rectangle (lots of corners) About 15 ft long by 6 ft wide, with a 3.2 ft wide section. I'll try and draw it out a bit with some ASCII art (*'s are walls, D's is the door, W = Washer, Dr=Dryer):

**********`WW````Dr`````******
*``````` **`WW````Dr```***`````*
*```````` *************``````` D
*```````````````````````````````D
*`````````````````````````````` *

The narrow section (north to south) is only 3.2 tiles wide. The washer and dryer sit on a 13" high platform I made that has laminate flooring on top. Should I do a full tile along the long wall, and a very small piece along the washer/dryer platform? Or should I do half pieces along both the wall and the platform?

2) Is there a good way to visualize what the various grout thicknesses look like? or is there a standard to use with 12" tiles?

Advertisement

Last edited by syogod; 08-09-2011 at 05:55 AM.
syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Tiling layout

Anybody?

Advertisement

syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tiling layout

Visually, you usually want to avoid pieces less than half of the tile. This would mean two full tiles down the center, and then pieces slightly larger than half along the walls. This of course means more cutting. Setting tile is a bit of an art. While there are general guidelines, there are no tile police. I would suggest just laying some tiles out on the floor and experimenting. See what you like. You may find you prefer the look of full tiles along the uninterrupted wall. If so, that's fine. It's your project, do whatever you like.

As far as visualizing what the spacing will look like, I suggest making up a dummy board. Take two tiles and glue them to a board or cardboard using the spacers you are considering. This doesn't have to be done "right". It's just a test so you can use whatever glue or adhesive you have handy. Then mix a small amount of grout and apply it. This will give you the best idea of not only the spacing, but of your grout color too.

Edited to add: How permanent are your W/D platforms. Are you tiling underneath them or just up to them. If the latter, I would suggest at the least stashing enough extra tile in the garage so you can complete underneath them if you change them down the road.

Last edited by Blondesense; 08-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote