Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling a Kitchen and Installing a Breakfast Bar

I am looking to replace all flooring, cabinets and counter tops in my kitchen. I want to install tile on the floor and and a new raised breakfast bar off the new cabinets. I need to know if I should install the new cabinets and frame for the breakfast bar over the new tile, or if I should install backerboard, install the cabinets and frame out the breakfast bar THEN install the tile. My thought is that in the future, I or the next home owner may decide to change the tile before the cabinets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jongoody2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Tileguy

I would install the cabinets first then install the concrete backer and tiles. You might want/need to add a plywood underlayment before any of this though. How about the joists? How old is the house? Method of installation, specific products? Who's doing the work?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

Definitely do all of your framing before laying any tile. You will want to secure your half wall to the floor joists and there really isn't a good way to do it once your tiles are in place.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Put in your floor, then put your cabinets on the floor.

Same way with the walls. Build the walls, put up the wall coverings, then hang your cabinets.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote