Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #1

Share |

Tiling kitchen floor (concrete)

Hi there,

I'm about to embark on my first tiling job ever! I've taken the vinyl tiles and carpet that was down in my kitchen. The floor underneath is concrete and spot on until you get to where the original kitchen must of been. There is a slight gutter / border followed by a slight raised concreted area. Ive attached the photo of it. I was wondering what would be the best way to tile this area?

Tiling kitchen floor (concrete)-image-3038407586.jpg

The floor itself is fine (as far as I'm aware). I've attached a photo of it, am I right in saying that once cleaned / hoovered / washed. I can put a sealer of PVA down then tile on top?

Tiling kitchen floor (concrete)-image-1154053502.jpg

My other question is how would I deal with the carpet door trim / edge. I'm guessing I would remove it. Is there a special trim I can get that would work? Or is it best to just leave it ?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Scott

scotto87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

Several things to think about----

The raised section will be trouble---you will need to raise the surrounding floor to that height--
You have black 'cut back' adhesive on the concrete--

I suggest you raise the floor height by using self leveling compound---you will need to use one that is approved for use over 'cut back'

I use Jif Set mixed with Linewebers liquid latex---you may wish to cover the entire area with Jif Set to encapsulate the cut back.

If that is not necessary--use a modified thinset that is approved for use over cutback --or use unmodified mixed with liquid latex.

Do not use PVA primer!!!!! That won't stick to the cutback --Isn't that drywall primer?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Several things to think about----

The raised section will be trouble---you will need to raise the surrounding floor to that height--
Its only a small section in the corner, it leads underneath the kitchen units so you don't see most of it. The section that is raised up is literally only a few inches in depth but the width of the kitchen unit as shown in the photo.

Surely I don't have to raise the whole floor for that tiny little section?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Sorry just to add, the black on the floor isn't raised and it doesn't have any thickness to it. Its literally almost like a stain left on the concrete by the previous vinyl tiles glue.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Do you have a dishwasher? If you raise the height of the floor and then tile underneath your dishwasher, the clearance between the floor and the countertop might not be enough for the dishwasher to fit back in. Just something to think about and measure to be sure if you might have this issue where you'd be raising the floor.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

The washing machine is there, but i'm only tiling up to the edge. I've had to change things around for the space the washer goes.

We've only just moved in not to long ago so the kitchen thats in WILL be changed eventually but I have to sort the floor out asap as we had a massive leak on the carpet that was down.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
DIY staff

For tile you need a flat surface--flat---either bring up the entire floor to match the highest spot---or grind/chisel or jack hammer the high spot down to the level of the rest of the floor---

Only choice---