Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling Fireplace.

I have an old house and fireplace was an old cement block one thatwas replaced with a gas insert and owner put paneling over top. I bought my tile, thinset and just got my wonderboard today. Now I pull off panelling and this is what I find...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/100_0992.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/100_0991.jpg

Type of tile I am putting up.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/100_0886.jpg

The idea I need is how to properly frame this in to beable to support sheetrock. I have a design everything drawn out and I have it all built actually just realized that the bottom plate sits on top of top sill of fireplace and it seems to get warm. I have it all done but I didnt nail anything to crazy just to hold it in place to see if itd work. For something like this do most people use a plain old 2x4 and not worry bout heat or do you use metal beam for bottom plate?

when removed the plywood there was half framing the person just threw studs in from top down half way then applied 1x6 fence wood across and then nailed paneling to that.so there has been wood techinically on that top part of fireplace before 1x6 ran right along the top but im doing it right so I need to make sure because afta this stuff on dont want to have to take off!

Shawn
Shawnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

Tiling Fireplace.

How hot does it get? Can you pull the manfucturer off the insert to get some specs on material and distances? Looking that picture that horizontal 2x4 is pretty far away from your fireplace and has 8 or 9 layers of brick/stone. I would assume it's OK. New construction would build that opening for the insert out of 2x4's. I have a wood burning insert that came with my house. I ripped out the old tile and it was stuck to drywall and had a pathetic mantel installed. I fixed up, retiles and built a proper matel. The wood and tiles get warm sometimes damn hot when we have a hot fire burning but not so hot I cant keep my hand on it so I feel safe. See Pictures before and after. (the after is not quite done in the pic i was still finishing at the time of the pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling Fireplace.-fireplace-2008-002.jpg   Tiling Fireplace.-goonfest-2008-021.jpg  
screamon demon is offline   Reply With Quote