Tiling A Fireplace - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling a fireplace

Hi all, new to the boards and wasn't sure if this should go here or in the remodeling section...

I have a boring "builder grade" ceramic tile fireplace in a home I am buying built in 2000. I want to remove the large beige tiles and replace them with some subway tile, some mosaic, or some of the metal or metal-looking tiles. Something with some color and something that looks interesting. I'm not sure yet. Two questions:

1. Are there certain types of tile that are not safe for putting on a fireplace? Is there a specific "type" I need to look for that can handle the heat? The fireplace also extends to the floor (I think this is called a hearth?). So whatever I go with would have to be fine for both.

2. I just assume that whatever the ceramic tile is affixed to, it's fine for me to clean up/patch,etc what is there and just re-tile right over on top of that. Accurate?

Thanks, DIYers - much appreciated!

TB

Advertisement

TravisBickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Tiling a fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post
Hi all, new to the boards and wasn't sure if this should go here or in the remodeling section...

I have a boring "builder grade" ceramic tile fireplace in a home I am buying built in 2000. I want to remove the large beige tiles and replace them with some subway tile, some mosaic, or some of the metal or metal-looking tiles. Something with some color and something that looks interesting. I'm not sure yet. Two questions:

1. Are there certain types of tile that are not safe for putting on a fireplace? Is there a specific "type" I need to look for that can handle the heat? The fireplace also extends to the floor (I think this is called a hearth?). So whatever I go with would have to be fine for both.

2. I just assume that whatever the ceramic tile is affixed to, it's fine for me to clean up/patch,etc what is there and just re-tile right over on top of that. Accurate?

Thanks, DIYers - much appreciated!

TB
Well the first thing is to show us a picture and the next thing is to know what's below the existing tile. Heat on a fireplace surround isn't usually an issue, why is it now?

Is this a wood-burning fireplace, gas, electric light bulb, what?

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling a fireplace

Hi Bud, thanks for taking the time to respond.

It is a gas fireplace. As far as why heat on a surround would be a problem - I don't think it's a problem - I just don't know if there are certain tile types that should be avoided when tiling a fireplace - I don't know these things, sadly.

Here's a picture:
TravisBickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,460

Tiling a fireplace

Never heard anything one way or the other regarding metallic tile, except that some people do it and don't report a problem. But other than that, pretty much whatever you want. Ceramic/porcelain tile was formed in extremely high heat - the puny heat of a fireplace surround is like a warm spring breeze to them.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Tiling a fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post
Hi Bud, thanks for taking the time to respond.
It is a gas fireplace. As far as why heat on a surround would be a problem - I don't think it's a problem - I just don't know if there are certain tile types that should be avoided when tiling a fireplace - I don't know these things, sadly.
Not a problem, any tile you choose will work.

Tags
fireplace , hearth , reface , subway , tile