Tiling Custom Shower - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Tiling custom Shower

I am finishing my basement and putting in a full bathroom with a tile shower. I was watching Holmes on Homes and noticed that they put rubber membrane on the walls. I didn't plan on doing this. I was wondering to the people who have done a shower did you put membrane on the backer board and then tile over that, or would backerboard and tile be enough for the walls? I know the membrane is recommended for the floor\pan and I will be doing that. Also, is it OK to use wood covered with backerboard for the curb? Thanks, Abs777

Advertisement

Abs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tiling custom Shower

Use 6 ml plastic
Hardi board thin-set and tape the joints
Some say use sealer on the hardi board, I do not
Thin-set and tile
Grout

Don't use premix thin-set or grout

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,346

Tiling custom Shower

Here is the basics of pan construction Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

A paint on membrane like Hydroban or Red Guard is a great idea on the walls--Cheap insurance to me--

Bud or Jazz( or someone else) will tell you about the surface membranes--like Schluters Kerdi--I have no experience with those! (Yet) I'm going to have to sign up for one of the classes-----

Last edited by oh'mike; 12-24-2010 at 08:56 AM.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Tiling custom Shower

You should study this procedure a little more. You haven't quite grasped the concept yet.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

Tiling custom Shower

I highly recommend applying a surface membrane when building showers. You can get away without it on walls if you use a moisture barrier of the studs, concrete backer and thin set mortar, but the problems occur from the curb down.

I like the Kerdi method because I give the client a watertight shower, not just a water resistant one. The secret is the Kerdi drain. Most failures I see start with improper waterproofing of the curb. If you use the old method and then fasten concrete backer over the curb, you have ruined the membrane cuz now it's full of holes. That is not the way to build a shower.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote