Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling is coming loose

I just had my kitchen tiles in october. It looks great and sturdy. However in front on the sink a high water and traffic area 2- 3 tiles are tilting under my feet. Its not real bad yet but without shoes you can feel it easily.

I have a tool I can use to cut out the loose tiles without disturbing the others but what then? I called the installer but he seems reluctant to come back over, he said I will be there tomorrow and no show, I fear this will be the case anytime I call, so its up to me to fix it.

I have a general plan but thought id run it by the experts before doing so.

Ok I plan to use my tool and cut out the loose tiles, then use thinset on both the tle and backerboard. After drying try and find the grout he used and regrout it. Then (now this is where I may need advise) I think I need to put some type of plastic seal between the undercabniet wall and the floor tile ect. Hopefully this will help keep any water from getting under there again. If I am not mistaken there was something there before with the tile. It looked like a black strip of plastic flexible theshold or something.

So does this sound ok? Any suggestions or flaws in this plan of attack?

Thanks
Tabitha

drtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Tiling is coming loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtabby View Post
I just had my kitchen tiles in october. It looks great and sturdy. However in front on the sink a high water and traffic area 2- 3 tiles are tilting under my feet. Its not real bad yet but without shoes you can feel it easily.

I have a tool I can use to cut out the loose tiles without disturbing the others but what then? I called the installer but he seems reluctant to come back over, he said I will be there tomorrow and no show, I fear this will be the case anytime I call, so its up to me to fix it.

I have a general plan but thought id run it by the experts before doing so.

Ok I plan to use my tool and cut out the loose tiles, then use thinset on both the tle and backerboard. After drying try and find the grout he used and regrout it. Then (now this is where I may need advise) I think I need to put some type of plastic seal between the undercabniet wall and the floor tile ect. Hopefully this will help keep any water from getting under there again. If I am not mistaken there was something there before with the tile. It looked like a black strip of plastic flexible theshold or something.

So does this sound ok? Any suggestions or flaws in this plan of attack?

Thanks
Tabitha
Do you know what he put for an underlayment below the tile? For example; did he put schluter ditra under the tile? Did he put just cement board under the tile? Or did he tile directly to the substrate and/or directly to a plywood underlayment?

Sorry to be so technical.

Your plan sounds fine; but you need to address the water issue. If the tile is directly on wood; the wood can be rotting/soaking/flexing. You may also work on not getting so much water there? Maybe a mat in front of the sink?

coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coderguy For This Useful Post:
drtabby (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tiling is coming loose

If I were replacing a tile I would remove all of the grout around it, pop the tile out, replace the tile with thinset, then re-grout. Finding the correct color grout may be a challenge.
I don't know what you mean about "put some type of plastic seal between the undercabniet wall and the floor tile."
There are a number of things that can cause a tile job to fail. A little bit of water on the surface is not one of them. Something else is going on. Without knowing exactly how the tile was installed there is no way to tell if this is going to happen again.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
drtabby (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tiling is coming loose

Hi Tabitha,

Sorry to hear of your tile problem, there is no way this should be happening even 30 years from now. You reasoning that water and traffic from the sink makes no sense to me. Why is there water on the floor? Is there water on the floor? Is it a flood, is water dripping to the ceiling below?

We need more info on how the floor was installed and with what products. Do you know? Look at your contract, receipts and any left over materials, and let us know.

Was this tile guy a licensed tile setter or a handyman or?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
drtabby (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling is coming loose

Ok Thaks you guys for such a quick response.

Ok from what I recall he fixed the sub floor and then added backer board (Durabond?) Dura something) then he put the tile right over that. I and others agree that I didnt even need to seal it because it was done with such precision, and I do believe he is licened contractor that is very busy but young .

As for the water, I do not know if this might be contributing to it or not but here goes!!

Ok I had a leak far away from that part of the kitchen. I had to cut a hole in my floor about 80 ft from that sink under the house. While in the process of fixing the floor tI had new granite and a sink installed, about 5 days before the guy who was standing between under my house and my hall floor said I smell seweage. Well I had just trurned on my sink.

We stopped the job and I called the plumber. He said I had a leak. He wasnt sure how long it had been going on but he thought for a while.

I need to get back under there and look at the floor but really do not know what to look for, know that the leak is fixed and the whole old copper piping was changed out for PVC.

None of that water came out on the floor but could have caused this.

Another way is that I have a big yellow industrial mop bucket and I usually put it there right next to the cabniet below the sink to fill it up with the sprayer. Water sometimes (alot of the times) gets right there. Thats why I thought this was the culprit or hoping and wishing LOL or I might have bigger problems then I think.

Any suggestions now that you know the whole story!! I sure hope that the floor is not so bad that putting the granite on it is going to make my floor cave in. I have already had 2 claims because of this water thing that I thought all started because of tree limbs falling through the roof. But this leak could have been a part of the problem as well.

I can take pictures if that would help and add them .

Where or what should I look at and what do I look for to find out my problem?
Thanks Again
Tabitha
drtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 514

Tiling is coming loose

Sorry to hear of your problems.

i think you need to find a local that you trust to work you through the problems.

Just my 2 cents.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tiling is coming loose

Tabitha,

We're willing to help figure this out if you can supply info and pics.

Quote:
I have a big yellow industrial mop bucket and I usually put it there right next to the cabniet below the sink to fill it up with the sprayer. Water sometimes (alot of the times) gets right there.
Ah......... why would you do that?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote