Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
long island, NY

Share |

tiling a built-in shower seat

We're redoing our shower... We gutted it and found dead space behind one wall. we want to use that space and build a recessed shower seat.

So we'll frame it, add the vapor barrier, cement board and tile. Then I was thinking about the edge of the seat. (The 90 degree corner where the back of your knees would go)

On the edge of the tile job where it transitions to painted drywall, I intend to use JOLLY to cover the tile edge/profile.

But can JOLLY be used in a shower on the edge of a shower seat? What does one do at one of these 90 degree corners? (the tiles we're using are a 1/4" thick porcelain with a textured finish)

thanks!

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

I'm thinking surface bull nose or ogee outside corner would trim out that angle nice.
http://www.luxetile.com/ceramic-tile...ile-trims.html

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
long island, NY

I would do that, but the tiles we're using are very unique..... textured like a bumpy mosaic and wouldn't gel well design wise with any tiles that have bullnoses. Impractical? yes! Shiny and purty though (the "bling" I like is very different than most women )

Was thinking that we might have to instead use a solid surface for the actual seat portion to circumvent the problem. I'd like to avoid the expense of that though... even though it will likely only be something like 2' x 3'

will say that the pencil edge tiles may work in a pinch... especially if I can find one that is bright white, not too glossy, and kinda modern looking. Now THAT'S a difficult shopping mission.
Attached Thumbnails
tiling a built-in shower seat-cubica-blanco-tile.jpg  

Last edited by diy'er on LI; 02-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Tileguy

I'm more concerned about this;

Quote:
So we'll frame it, add the vapor barrier, cement board and tile.
Benches need surface waterproofing. What's your plan??

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I'm more concerned about this;

Benches need surface waterproofing. What's your plan??

Jaz
plan? errrrr..... I didn't know that! I thought the 1/4" pitch would take care of pooling water and that was all I had to deal with. I'll have to form a plan now.....

All I have to say is thank you thank you thank you for replying to my thread!

OK, I did some preliminary research (http://askville.amazon.com/build-sho...uestId=2951076) and am thinking that between the bullnose issue and the instructions here, it simply might be easier to go solid surface for the shower seat with a continuous membrane beneath for the waterproofing issues.

Last edited by diy'er on LI; 02-24-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Post up a picture of what you have in the shower were your putting the seat.

Sent from my iPhone 4 ios5
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
long island, NY

here's the pic

It's only gutted right now. have to still repair the wall from the water damage and move the 1.5" pvc and shower pipes....

notice there's framing for a bench (which must be rebuilt and bumped forwards to meet the shower pan) already there behind the current wall... this "bench" is actually part of the bench for our tub in the other bathroom on the opposite side of the wall!
Attached Thumbnails
tiling a built-in shower seat-shower-1-copy.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #8

That just looks like access to behind the shower system for pipe access. Might have to revamp where you want your pluming and possibly the seat.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
long island, NY

we intend to move the shower head pipes to the opposite shower wall (which is standard width, but also could be opened easily for pipe access from the other side of the wall)

we intend to move the pvc vent pipe over about a foot so it is contained in the wall perpendicular to the shower.

that's not an acceptable plan?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
DIY staff

Moving the shower plumbing should work---

Listen to Jaz----waterproof the entire seat area--A surface membrane or Hydroban--
A solid seat is also very wise---

That is a very common cause of shower failure---very common---

If you tile the seat area--make sure that the framework and plywood base are very well built so no flexing can occur--some time a heavy person will stand on that---must be as strong as a floor.

And as waterproof as a fish tank--water will penetrate your grout and get under the tile---that's the nature of tile and grout.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Also make sure the seat has a slight pitch down so no water will sit there.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
long island, NY

I was going to follow the instructions I saw on the link I posted earlier. A single continuous sheet of poly... is that considered a "membrane" or is there another product I'm unaware of? The hydroban looks interesting. I'll have to read-up on the logistics of it... I'm reading the manufacturers instructions right now....

honestly, in the 35 years of us living here, the only thing that has ever gone on the "shower seat" in the other bathroom is shampoo bottles. That being said, I will do the proper framing and thickness of plywood to mimick a floor. Don't want anything to flex and crack!

once again... thank you guys for your advice!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
DIY staff

There are surface membranes--Schluter makes Kerdi--this is installed in a bed of thinset --over the top of your backer board---makes for a waterproof surface for the tile to set on---

I like Hydroban by Latacrete---simply painted on---to create a water proof surface---either one works well---both are pricey--

However,The money is well spent---I've met to many sorry homeowners facing a shower replacement because of a leaking seat in a shower----do it right once--
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Tileguy

Quote:
I was going to follow the instructions I saw on the link I posted earlier. A single continuous sheet of poly...
That link lead to many others. Sounds like you're thinking of using shower pan membrane though. I would not do that. That type of membrane is covered by either mud or backer board, which means you'll have holes in the membrane cuz you have to fasten the backer or lath for mud. Not waterproof anymore. Use a surface membrane, it's the best way to waterproof a shower.

I like the Kerdi system because it is a system. The secret is the Kerdi Drain.

Let us know what your next step will be just in case you've missed something.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
long island, NY

good to know that the shower pan membrane is insufficient. yeah, that website recommended covering all the breaks in the membrane with a roofing sealer of some sort.

I believe I don't need the entire kerdi system because I'm not tiling the floor (buying an acrylic pan). I DID look into their membrane for the walls. I think it might be the path of least resistance to just buy the kerdi wall membrane supplies. Gotta still look-up how to seal it up against the acrylic pan though. I think I would prefer the kerdi system to a liquid membrane that cures merely due to the degassing of the liquid membrane.

I SERIOUSLY need to get a good plan going... like yesterday.

As all you know too well, it's rather difficult having to manage a giant unexpected DIY in addition to regular responsibilities... Normally, I'm more on the ball with research/organization, but right now, life is throwing me a few too many curve balls.