Tiling Around A Tub/shower - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 150

Tiling around a tub/shower

Hello. Im tiling the walls around my tub/shower. Tub is a 60" x 30" I want to use 12x12 " tiles. How far past the tub on the 30" ends should i go? 6" + spacing seems to much.

Advertisement

ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would probably cut inside and outside tiles with full tile centered. I do hope this is over backer board and not greenboard or drywall??

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #3

Ya, backer board with waterproofing. Im curious if people just go to the edge of the top (try and center the shower head/taps).. or extend it past the edge of the tub
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Center the tile on the five foot wall. Use bullnose for the outer edges of the two smaller walls. The bullnose goes all the way down to the floor even with the outer face of the tub. Then, start the tile for these walls at the bullnose and go to the back corner taking what you get in the corners. Unless this results in a tile sliver at the back. In that case center-up the tiles on those walls also but this will mean cut tiles at the bullnose. The cut edges can usually be filed slightly to remove any small chipping and will still be acceptable after grouting.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

you can also move the bullnose in enogh to eliminate the sliver and cut the bullnose to the tub as needed.
just tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #6

What about centering the showerhead/taps with the tiles, is that common still or not really as noticable ?

Your suggesting using bullnose pieces instead of a schluter trim ?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Your suggesting using bullnose pieces instead of a schluter trim ?
OH! You know about Schluter tile edging huh?

The point is....

Water always seems to find its way down the side of the tub at the wall junctures. Shower curtain, shower door, doesn't matter. I like to keep that water off the walls. So I always run a strip of tile along the face of the tub down to the floor in those corners. Even if Schluter edging is used I think it is wise to still run a strip of tile down the wall.

The most common way to do this is with matching bullnose because a lot of people around here just can't get their brain wrapped around metal tile edging. It just isn't traditional and conservative enough for these folks.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
OH! You know about Schluter tile edging huh?

The point is....

Water always seems to find its way down the side of the tub at the wall junctures. Shower curtain, shower door, doesn't matter. I like to keep that water off the walls. So I always run a strip of tile along the face of the tub down to the floor in those corners. Even if Schluter edging is used I think it is wise to still run a strip of tile down the wall.

The most common way to do this is with matching bullnose because a lot of people around here just can't get their brain wrapped around metal tile edging. It just isn't traditional and conservative enough for these folks.
So the advantage of running part of a tile down the edge of the tub out ways the centering the showerhead in a tile..

If my tub is 30" or 32" wide. and im using 12x12 tiles would you extend the tile 4/6" past the tub(bit more with grout gaps). Or should i cut my 2 outside tiles a tad bit smaller, so it only sticks out past the tub less than that..
Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Tileguy

You can center-up tiles in two ways. Either use the center of a tile to center the valve and spray head, or use a grout joint to center the valve and spray head. One or the other should push you out past the edge of the tub and hopefully not too far that you can't finish it off with bullnose. Maybe one or the other will let you use full tiles everywhere. If not, you'll have to cut some tiles I guess.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #10

To be honest I have never seen bullnose tile , atleast around here. Everone just uses the metal edge, or I have even seen no edge at all and just caulking. I will have to look it up on Google Images see how it looks

Advertisement