DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tiling around a toilet flange

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  FlooringDude 
#1 ·
should the flange be flush with the finished floor or sit on top of it

#3 ·
Under the best of circumstances the flange sits atop the finished floor covering. If it does not, flange extensions and an additional wax seal can be used.:)

It doesn't hurt to cut around a flange when tiling but if the opportunity presents itself the flange should be on top.:)

#5 ·
I stand by what I said---tile around the flange--NEVER under it.

This has been discussed to death--Good luck trying to get a plumber to drill 6 holes into your new porcelain tile to screw the flange to the floor!

Putting the flange on top of the tile give you very little room for wax--none with some toilets--

I've been a bath remodeler for many years--this is the correct way.

What are the advantages to having the flange above the finished floor ?--Name one please.

The internet is loaded with bad advice--and plenty of pictures and drawing of things that are absolutely absurd-----

This is one point that keeps coming up--along with the same nonsense answers--Tile around the flange or find out the hard way why the old pros always do it this way.--M--

#6 ·
Putting the flange on top of the tile give you very little room for wax--none with some toilets--
.....and the millions of toilets in bathrooms with thin vinyl flooring/floor covering? - how is that working if the flange being above the floor surface is an issue. The horn of a toilet is built so that it is recessed into the foot support of the toilet base about 3/8" so that the wax seal has room to seat and a place to expand. A closet-flange can easily be anywhere from 1/4" below the floor surface to 3/8" above the floor surface and still work without issues. :yes:

#7 · (Edited)
So,Tell me,Bud. When the new flange is installed on top of one of your tile installations--do you let the plumber drill into your work to install that flange?

Who pays if the plumber breaks the tile--who pays if you have to drive to the job ,just to drill 6 holes?

Nonsense.Still waiting to hear the advantage.

#8 · (Edited)
oh'mike,

Jheeeeezh! Why do you like to argue so much about things you know you are wrong about? Where on earth did you get your training. Are you self-taught? Back off a little and I'll help you get through this.:)

So,Tell me,Bud. When the new flange is installed on top of one of your tile installations--do you let the plumber drill into your work to install that flange?

Who pays if the plumber breaks the tile--who pays if you have to drive to the job ,just to drill 6 holes?
Typically the plumber leaves the flange fitting for me and I install it. In some cases I use a plywood ring the size of the flange. In some cases I drill the holes through the tiles, In some cases the plumber installs the flange on the subfloor for me to tile-around and later he adds extensions.

In any case the flanges are always in their proper position elevated to 1/4" A.F.F. like they should be.:)

I'm not out to do battle with the plumbers and every other trade in the area. I am interested in co-operating and working together with all the trades and builders. We all have a good working relationship around here. We don't fight and argue like immature little children about such things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.