Tiles - Help, Porcelain On Plywood! - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tiles - Help, Porcelain on plywood!

please please can anybody help me?i put down porcalin tiles in the kitchen on a marine ply wood base.my wife now wants differnt onestryed to get them up useing a hammer and bolster no luck,they just keep on splintering,only about a centrmetere comeing up at a time.also tryed a very large drill with flat head still no luck,anyone got any ideas?

Advertisement

davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 518

So you tried to lay porcalin tiles directly on top of ply wood? From what i've learned that is a big no no. I think you are going to ruin the ply when you try to take the morter off. I'm not an expert and someone will probably be along to confirm but i would think you would be better off tearing up the ply and starting over right. You might be able to leave the ply if you can get the tiles and morter up without tearing the ply apart but if you tried a big hammer drill with a chisel tip i don't think your going to get them up.

Advertisement

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

The job was done incorrectly in the first place, considering the tiles were laid directly on plywood. You're better off starting from scratch with a proper tilebacker on top of your subfloor.

Tiles don't usually come off in one piece unfortunately.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

The MP needs to come out and start over with the original subfloor. No one in the industry would have specified marine plywood, that's not what should have been used. Tiling directly to plywood can be done but isn't recommended. Especially if you plan to remove it later.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote