Tiler Put Silicone Over My Grout Lines!!! - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiler put silicone over my grout lines!!!

Hi there,

My husband and I recently had tile laid down on the floors in all of our bathrooms. We commented to the tiler that there was some colour differential in the grout in one bathroom and for some reason, while we were downstairs, he siliconed each and every floor's perimeter with silicone! From what I've seen, silicone seems to attract hair/dust - and now it looks like the perimeter of all bathrooms are wet! I hate it! Is there anything I can do about this? Why would he have done this? I'm assuming it isn't common practice as I can't find any information regarding this.

Please help! Any way to get the silicone off of the grout lines? It was just applied a few hours ago but seems quite stuck on there!

Thanks,
L.

Advertisement

Lindamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 4,914

Hi Linda,

If you wanna remove it go ahead and do it now, I guess. Tape off next to the line and cut it out. They also make a silicone remover that will help in removing the rest of it.

So he caulked the gap where the floor and wall tile/trim meet, right? That is a good thing, but apparently you don't like shiny caulk. I don't blame you. Every grout manufacturer also makes acrylic or siliconized caulk to match their grout. It comes in both sanded and un sanded, to blend with either type of grout.

Jaz

Advertisement

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE - PERLATO - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - CALACATTA - NAXOS - Slabs - Tiles - Custom containers marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
williamwiens (03-04-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

flooring

Hi Jazman,

He made tile baseboards for us and he caulked in between the floor and the tile baseboard, yes. It just seems odd because we loved it when it was grouted and I have no idea why he would have applied shiny silicone to it. So this is common practice? I thought that everything was completed once it was grouted. We literally called him in to finish up a couple of things in other areas and to perhaps fix the color differential in our kids' bathroom but then we ended up with silicone around each room - including our closet. And one last question, doesn't silicone attract a lot of dust? From what I've experienced in the past, it can be a real hassle to clean - especially in the corners. The grout had been such a dream for me to sweep - nothing got in it!

I've been trying to get a hold of him but he's nearly impossible to ever get. I can't imagine how long it will take me to scrape off all of this silicone - not to mention, the grouting seems to come off a bit along with it so I'm assuming it will need another coat of grout if I ever get the silicone off?

Thanks again for the prompt answer!
Linda
Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #4

pics

Hi again...I added pics to my profile so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Just want to ensure that we can grout over this once I pick off all of the silicone.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 556

You WILL NOT be able to re-grout over the silicone. There will be serious residue that remains in the grout. Caulking over grout is meaningless and serves no real lasting pupose. Nothing sticks to silicone. Technically any time there is a change-in-plane those junctures should be caulked, never grouted. You can buy caulk that is the same color as your grout and it comes "sanded" and "unsanded" but to use it now all of the grout will have to be removed first. That's what should be done anyway. Remove all of the grout and at the same time you will be removing the silicone except for what is smeared on the tile's surface.

I hate silicone and don't recommend it ever be used anywhere in a tile installation. It is messy and unsightly and (as you now know) changes the look of everything it is applied to.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 03-05-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #6

thanks

Thanks for the advice!

So basically it sounds like I'm going to have to get him to remove the grout and re-caulk with sanded or unsanded caulking? Does this caulking shrink up at all? I know silicone does - plus I hate the way things adhere to it. We were super happy with the grouting as it was so it really irks me that he did this. Oh well, what's done is done. Problem is, he's never available. The work started out really, really good and he was totally finished with the master bathroom. Now we're left with a big mess to clean up and a tile guy who is always missing in action.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it!

Linda
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Tileguy

Most all latex and siliconized caulks will shrink slightly but it isn't enough to worry about. Siliconized caulk is not the same as 100% silicone caulk, it is an entirely different product so if it turns up on your job, not to worry. In the future I would stay completely away from any 100% silicone caulk of any kind. The stuff is bad news in my opinion.

Tilers that don't respond when called after doing a job are tilers that frequently get called back to repair their screw ups. There's a word for that-it is called "hiding".
Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #8

yes!

Thank-you Bud! Yes, I know that is precisely what he is doing - hiding. The worst part is he was referred to us through the tiling company, Ceratec. We paid a fair bit for the install and have been plagued with multiple problems including a toilet that wasn't reset properly and flooded into our ceiling on our main floor - they're still fixing that ceiling and that was from December. He's a nice guy and his work seemed good but he's always rushing and I truly think he's over-extended himself on some major work and as such, jobs like ours suffer. It's been 3 months and he's only now finishing off the schluters(sp?) in the main bathroom. We've been so patient with him but I've gotten to the point where I'm ticked. The silicone put me over the edge (typical woman, I know!). I obsess about things like that and it makes me upset that I'll have to be the person prying the stuff off of the grout - I don't imagine he'll get back to us.

Wish me luck everyone!
L.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,016

I also hate silicone around the perimeter of a tiled room. I would rather live with the hairline crack at the edge than see the silicone.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #10

yes!

I know Yummy Mummy - I totally agree!! I had some carpet people here yesterday that helped me remove a good portion of the silicone. They cut it with an exacto knife and then scraped it with a tool of some sort. I have just a bit of scraping left to do.

He actually came by today (surprise, surprise) and said he'll re-grout when he gets back in town. He thinks he'll be able to re-grout as is - God I hope he's right. It was plain ol' shiny silicone that he used. He said they do this to avoid cracking. I don't know, to me it was just downright ugly and ruined a perfectly good job. At least he's willing to grout for us I guess. Man my expectations have lowered!!

Turns out now we have another issue....a tile has been cracked in our basement bathroom (bathroom no. 4) and the tile guy claims it was the carpet guy and the carpet guy claims it was the tile guy. Someone is lying - who, we don't know - so we're left responsible for it. Renos suck!! LOL!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,016

Yes, renos do suck sometimes. That is why I DIY when I can. Sometimes, it turns out better than the pros.....

I also had silicone removed in my master bath. It was actually the same colour as the grout, but it was still shiny and I could not sleep at night.... so I told them to remove it. Now there is gout and there are little hairline cracks but hardly noticeable unless you really look close.

Good luck with your reno.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #12

lol!

LOL! I had to laugh at you not sleeping at night over it! I know what you mean!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
said he'll re-grout when he gets back in town. He thinks he'll be able to re-grout as is - God I hope he's right. It was plain ol' shiny silicone that he used. He said they do this to avoid cracking.
Allow me to enlighten you on a few topics.

Quote:
said he'll re-grout when he gets back in town.
Re-grouting is not what you need. Any time there is a change-in-plane that juncture is to be caulked. Caulk will allow the slight movement that will occur, grout will not allow movement-it will crack. All structures move around routinely with climate changes and wind and age and sun and all sorts of things. This is why you never grout a juncture of this type.

There are plenty of grout-matching caulks available, they come both sanded and unsanded. OH WAIT! Didn't I already mention that?

Quote:
He thinks he'll be able to re-grout as is
THAT is very iffy. When the silicone was applied it got into the pores of the grout and some will likely remain there. NOTHING sticks to 100% silicone. Any grout applied over existing 100% silicone may look fine for a few days but then it will begin to flake out with any movement that occurs.

The proper way to re-grout (which shouldn't be done to begin with) would be to gouge the existing grout to a depth of not less than 2/3's of its depth and then apply the new grout. Bounce that idea off of this novice and see if he squawks. My recommendation is: DON'T DO IT!

Quote:
He said they do this to avoid cracking.
This guy is blowing smoke my dear. That statement right there is an over the top crock of crap!

Smearing silicone over hard grout WILL NOT keep the grout from cracking. What it will do is mask and hide the cracked grout so he doesn't have to stand good for the cracked grout when it does happen. Obviously he knows it will happen, I see that now.

I will also tell you that grouting a juncture is the path of least resistance. It is much much easier to do then caulking the juncture would be. It is also a whole lot cheaper. Grouting a juncture is a short cut and usually saves one more return trip.

Don't you smell any smoke here Linda?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #14

yes

Hi Bud,

Yes, I completely and utterly agree with you. I know in my heart of hearts that he's all about the quick fix but how big of a job is it to get someone else in here to take out all of the grout and then reapply caulk? I asked him about the sanded caulk and his reply was, "I didn't do that because there isn't a colour match.". I'm sure it's a load of bs but honestly, sometimes you are at people's mercy and originally when it was done, I had no idea that it should have been caulked not grouted.

I think part of our problem lies herein; we paid him before the work was complete! Everything was progressing tickety boo so we thought, it's Christmas, let's just pay him out, there's hardly anything left to do. Well, it is now March and they still aren't done. It's been a nightmare. And this is who the tile company recommends? I don't doubt that he can do decent work but at this point, he's building some condos and obviously that's where his focus is.

Wish you lived in Manitoba Bud!!! Where were you in November?? LOL!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #15

Oh, and I should mention, he installed the tile in our master bath over Kerdi board (sp?) - the orange stuff - to try to avoid shifting, cracking. Does this really help?

Advertisement