Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Tile, thinset & door

I need to install a new door unit in a space that is to receive tile. I'm also installing a door to a room that won't receive tile for a year or more. How much height will thinset and 8mm porcelain tile add to a concrete floor? TIA.

Last edited by Bob...; 02-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tile, thinset & door

Assuming you mixed the thinset just right and use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel, I' d say a total of 11 mm max. Might be closer to 10 mm.

How much space do you intend to leave for throw-rugs and air movement?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Tile, thinset & door

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Assuming you mixed the thinset just right and use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel, I' d say a total of 11 mm max. Might be closer to 10 mm.

How much space do you intend to leave for throw-rugs and air movement?

Jaz
I won't be installing the tile myself, so I can't say exactly what trowel will be used.

As far as space, I guess I'll need no more than 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the installed floor and the door bottom. An automatic threshold will be installed that drops down 3/4" or less.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Tileguy

Tile, thinset & door

The proper trowel depends on the type and size of the tiles. Is the floor flat and therefore ready to go, or is some patching needed to get it flat? Is this a residence or your office?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

Tile, thinset & door

Quote:
The proper trowel depends on the type and size of the tiles. Is the floor flat and therefore ready to go, or is some patching needed to get it flat? Is this a residence or your office?

Jaz
Thanks for your remarks Jaz.

The floor will need some leveling, as there are some low ("un-flat") areas, and it is a business office within my residence. 18"x18" tiles. I'll let whatever contractor I choose level the floor.

There is also a crack in the concrete (slab is not sinking) that will need membrane, in case that's relevant. It runs the width of the slab and is about 4' from the previously mentioned door.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

Tile, thinset & door

I wouldn't be installing any doors or jambs until the floor is done.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Bob... (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

Tile, thinset & door

Quote:
I wouldn't be installing any doors or jambs until the floor is done.

Jaz
I think that makes sense. The tile is holding the job up, but I can see that putting B before A may cause further delays down the road. Thank you for your advice.