DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tiling, ceramics, marble (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/)
-   -   Tile, thinset & door (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/tile-thinset-door-171322/)

Bob... 02-07-2013 06:15 PM

Tile, thinset & door
 
I need to install a new door unit in a space that is to receive tile. I'm also installing a door to a room that won't receive tile for a year or more. How much height will thinset and 8mm porcelain tile add to a concrete floor? TIA.

JazMan 02-07-2013 09:04 PM

Assuming you mixed the thinset just right and use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel, I' d say a total of 11 mm max. Might be closer to 10 mm.

How much space do you intend to leave for throw-rugs and air movement?

Jaz

Bob... 02-07-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1111996)
Assuming you mixed the thinset just right and use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel, I' d say a total of 11 mm max. Might be closer to 10 mm.

How much space do you intend to leave for throw-rugs and air movement?

Jaz

I won't be installing the tile myself, so I can't say exactly what trowel will be used.

As far as space, I guess I'll need no more than 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the installed floor and the door bottom. An automatic threshold will be installed that drops down 3/4" or less.

JazMan 02-07-2013 10:11 PM

The proper trowel depends on the type and size of the tiles. Is the floor flat and therefore ready to go, or is some patching needed to get it flat? Is this a residence or your office?

Jaz

Bob... 02-07-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1112067)
The proper trowel depends on the type and size of the tiles. Is the floor flat and therefore ready to go, or is some patching needed to get it flat? Is this a residence or your office?

Jaz

Thanks for your remarks Jaz.

The floor will need some leveling, as there are some low ("un-flat") areas, and it is a business office within my residence. 18"x18" tiles. I'll let whatever contractor I choose level the floor.

There is also a crack in the concrete (slab is not sinking) that will need membrane, in case that's relevant. It runs the width of the slab and is about 4' from the previously mentioned door.

JazMan 02-07-2013 10:48 PM

I wouldn't be installing any doors or jambs until the floor is done.

Jaz

Bob... 02-07-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1112112)
I wouldn't be installing any doors or jambs until the floor is done.

Jaz

I think that makes sense. The tile is holding the job up, but I can see that putting B before A may cause further delays down the road. Thank you for your advice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.