Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower

We are building a house. Hired one man to tile bathrooms . He did not do a great job on tile . Needed a back-splash done did not want to use him... hired someone else that seems really knowledgeable...
the first tile man did not level the tile stepping into showers found out when installing shower doors. Glass installers told me it should be fixed. So just had the new tile guy pull it up thinking two or three tiles on two of the showers then the new tile man said the old one used mastic glue. I was standing there and they showed me how it was still not dry . Tile was installed a month ago. The new tile man went on to tell me the mastic glue would take another month to dry and would have problems with future mold... called the original tile man and he said he only used mastic around door frames of shower thinset everywhere else. "trying" to move in new house next week I let the new man rip out the door ways and replace . nothing like spending money you have already spent ! old tile guy came by house and said we wasted our money he has been using mastic glue on entrance to showers for years. I don't know whom to believe! when do you use mastic and is it procedure to use on inside of shower entrance where the door goes???

keyesww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #2

Mastic should never be used where water will be present. When in doubt, always use thinset. Mastic may work for awhile, but if things get wet on a regular basis, it will eventually fail.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

I cannot see any reason to use the correct adhesive (thinset) on the shower walls and then switch to the wrong stuff (mastic) around the door. Does this idiot (the old guy who is not a tile guy in any way shape or form) have any explanation for his stupidity?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #4

Now's the time to fix it and do it right. Mastic's of course a no-no for wet areas...I've never seen mastic take a month to dry.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Well, I will say this. I never cease to be surprised at what sometimes seems to work just fine. My neighbor had his front stoop tiled several years ago. The guy used mastic. It gets rain all the time, and still seems fine.

I tiled my own stoop and walkway down to the street. I used thinset. Today, you couldn't tell the difference in the two jobs.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #6

I have laid my share of tile and you NEVER use mastic in a shower. I know this personally, my best friend built his house and told me about this great tile adhesive he was using to tile his shower(he taught me how to tile years ago). It was in a bucket and when he got home from work he could just open it up and get to work, when he got tired he just tossed the lid on and quit. No wasting of thinset, etc. I thought wow that sounds like the stuff for me! I'm a DIY guy and I will give it a shot.
Well I used it in my shower floor and I had to end up ripping the floor back out because the mastic never setup after 2-3 weeks, I noticed when I walked on the tile after it was grouted that it felt like a tile moved after about a week. I got down and checked it out, sure enough the bloody mastic was still wet. I have to bust it all out and replaced it with thinset like I should have done in the first place.
I called my best friend and told him that stuff sucked! And he laughed and said he hasn't had any problems with it. That was over 2 years ago.
I will never use mastic in a shower again. I suppose you could use it above the pan but I wouldn't ever do it.
I would probably be ok with using it anywhere besides a shower or wet area as everyone else has indicated.
I have attached a few pictures, with mastic in the floor, then ripping it out.

Nate
Attached Thumbnails
tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower-shower-floor-crap-mastic.jpg   tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower-ripping-floor-out.jpg  
natemclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #7

A contractor in my dad's house used mastic to hang tile in his shower (against my will) when I was in college. Eight years later I own the house and the tiles were literally falling off the wall. We didn't use that shower for a couple years due to the water issues, and just finished totally gutting and remodeling it a year ago. I've seen 50 year old tile jobs that look twice as good as what was there.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #8

Thank you for all your help. The original tile guy is being stubborn and says he has used it without problems... thank goodness he only used it in the doorways and not the entire shower. It is better to fix it right now than later.
keyesww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
The original tile guy is being stubborn and says he has used it without problems...
You don't think he would admit to all the failures he has had in the past do you. No installer in his right-mind would tell you of his failures. In fact...no installer in his right-mind would use mastic adhesive in a shower to begin with. Failures are well known throughout the industry. Anyone with any experience is aware of this.

Mastics have their place but a shower ain't one of them.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
A contractor in my dad's house used mastic to hang tile in his shower (against my will) when I was in college. Eight years later I own the house and the tiles were literally falling off the wall. We didn't use that shower for a couple years due to the water issues, and just finished totally gutting and remodeling it a year ago. I've seen 50 year old tile jobs that look twice as good as what was there.
I hope you got the permit for that work.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You don't think he would admit to all the failures he has had in the past do you. No installer in his right-mind would tell you of his failures. In fact...no installer in his right-mind would use mastic adhesive in a shower to begin with. Failures are well known throughout the industry. Anyone with any experience is aware of this.

Mastics have their place but a shower ain't one of them.
Question for you. If mastics are such a problem in a shower, why are manufacturers still stating they can be used in wet areas with no problems. Doesn't that open them up for claims of product failure?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
Doesn't that open them up for claims of product failure?
You betcha it does and manufacturers have plenty of claims on a regular basis, as do the sellers of the products. In a lot of cases the claims and complaints fall on deaf ears. Manufacturers are prepared to have a percentage of claims for their products. They know they can easily wear a person down. If it gets litigous they quickly offer up a settlement and they have still reaped a portion of the profit from the original sale. Read the warranties they offer. The only thing they cover is the cost of replacement of their product.

Mastics went downhill when the Feds mandated the removal of all V.O.C.'s in those products several years ago.

It is a well-known fact in the industry of installation that mastics don't work well in wet locations. You'll also notice that not all makers continue those claims of acceptability for that specific use anymore.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

Hello I had to respond to this one! Let's start with I have been installing tile for over 20 year's and I am and always have been in retail tile sale's. Mastic is fine for the entrance, and the wall's, some mastic's are even rated for floor's. I myself would never use mastic on the floor! But it's done everyday. Your problem is moisture!!! Now it could have come from a few source's. Such as wet backerboard or high humidity. But most likely it was because of the cut's. What happen's is the tile are commonly cut on a wet saw and they don't get dried theroughly When the tile's are wet it changes the curing process. Ive seen circumstance's where tiles are still wet 6 month's later. Now you don't have to take my word for it, you can simply call the technical support department for the product that he used. Im sure you will get an explanation very simular to mine. Good Luck!!!
Craig Tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Tileguy

Here's what you really get when you use mastic in a shower.

This shower had been completed thirty days prior to these pictures, it was used twice before the owner realized water was gushing into his basement. I was called to find the problem so I surgically explored how the shower was built. The use of mastic wasn't the only issue here but as you can see the mastic has re-emulsified and is as wet as the day it came from the bucket.

You guys can believe what you want but mastic IS NO LONGER SAFE FOR USE IN WET LOCATIONS.
Attached Thumbnails
tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower-561.jpg   tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower-560.jpg  

Last edited by Bud Cline; 06-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.