DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tile layout for a hall with an "L" bend. Critique my photo

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  J187 
#1 ·
I am laying 12" tile in a small landing area at the bottom of my stairs, just before my family room. The layout is a little tricky - I have only tiled rectangular rooms. Do you think I"ve got the best layout here?

_ Image codes have been turned off I guess, click the link above.

See less See more
#2 ·
Another option would be to use full, uncut tiles along the carpet and slide everything "north" a couple of inches. Not sure it would be better, but having full tiles in the most visible area (which seems to be along the carpet transition) is usually a good idea, even if it means smaller pieces elsewhere.

Where does that door go?

#3 ·
The door leads into the garage. People are most often coming down the stairs into the family room or from the family room up the stairs. I was thinking the full tiles at the door would be better because at the carpet end, they will blend into the carpet with no grout line visible to cut them off. That, and the cut amount at the carpet side is only like, 1.5" and may not even be perceivable since I am butting them against the high pile.

#7 ·
I agree, that's probably as good as any. I wouldn't worry about filling that 1/2" space with grout since it's only about 3' across. Normally you wanna leave a 1/4" gap empty for expansion.

Suggestions;

You should also install shoe molding. You do not butt tiles to carpet, you should use an "L" edging like this; http://www.schluter.com/2171.aspx Is that floor a slab?

Jaz

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had originally intended on caulking that space since I usually caulk the perimeter of the floor and grout only between tile/tile.

As far as the transition goes, I would usually use one between tile and carpet, but this carpet is thick and high, like shag almost. When I dry lay the tiles, the tile completely disappears into the carpet, so I thought the shluter wouldn't be necessary - saves $15, time painting the transition and honestly looks a little nicer. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? I was under the impression that it was ok to butt the tile against a high carpet.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Residential carpeting is almost always higher, so that's not a reason. Sometimes when you try to tuck in close to the carpet, the carpet pushes back and moves the tile. The edging protects the edge from chipping. It'll be fine without it though if it's as you say.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.