Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tile installation price

Hello All!

I'm looking to do a tile job for a customer. I'm not new to tiling but new to pricing. Can anyone tell me how much tile costs to install. How much should I be charging... I'm in new jersey of that helps any.

I'd have to remove the old tile, install a new substrate and tile. I just don't know where to begin with prices. I will check what the box stores are going at but thought id ask here first.

Thanks!

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Tile installation price

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Tile installation price

no one here can tell you the price. we don't know how fast you work or how much you want to make. prices vary from region to region.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Jack of all Trades

Tile installation price

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
no one here can tell you the price. we don't know how fast you work or how much you want to make. prices vary from region to region.
I understand there are many variables however I was looking for an average price to gauge where I should be pricing the job. Regardless of my time/speed, I can't charge $10 per sq foot if there is an average of $4 per sq foot. I may be able to charge $5 but that would be a regional decision. Do you understand what I mean?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Jack of all Trades

Tile installation price

Sorry I didn't realize this was a grey area as far as discussions. thank you for this information
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

Tile installation price

Figure out or guess how long it's gonna take you to do. "X" amount per day x number of days, plus the time to estimate and get materials etc. Add all the material costs. Be sure to include enough for taxes, advertising, office costs, telephone, accounting, truck expenses, health insurance, tools, rents and probably another dozen things.

If you don't know how to do this, you will have to guess and then learn from your mistakes. We've all made the most common & biggest mistake in business, which is under estimating the cost of doing business.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Tile installation price

I recently charged $380 for about 16 square feet of tile. It was a concrete patch job over a plumbing repair. It was up against a wall.

First of all, the area was filthy. I removed the wood baseboard against the wall so that I would be able to tile under it easier and there was plenty of rotten sheetrock and bottom plate.

I broke out some tile along the edges and tried to establish a good starting and stopping point. Then I started removing the mortar from the original tiles. It took some time to do this, then dry lay the tile. My joints worked out to slightly more than 1/4" to match the old joints and get me to the end of the patch without a piece.

Of course there was a lot of clean up along the way, then I laid the tile, came back the next day and started scraping out the joints, then grouted.

Some more clean up, then replace the baseboard and leave.

I spent 8 hours on the job and had some material costs. I charged $40/hour. This was a neighbor restaurant at a strip mall. The owner saw me tiling a countertop at my wife's store and it went from there. I told him I would do it for him for $40/hour plus materials and would do it as fast as possible, because it wasn't something I was eager to spend more time than necessary on.

Was I happy? Not really, I didn't want to do the work and it wasn't artistically satisfying or anything. Was he happy? I doubt it. He probably couldn't believe he spent $380 on a small patch.

So that is my pricing story.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Tile installation price

Not that it really would relate to your area, but I was quoted $7.50 PSF for 1500 SF job ($11,250.00)

18" tile to be laid, on a clean slab, on the diagonal, with clipped corners every 2nd tile, similar to this:

I decided it would be another DIY job, as I felt the bid was ridiculous..
Attached Images

Last edited by ktkelly; 09-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
mike owes me $53 dollars

Tile installation price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly
Not that it really would relate to your area, but I was quoted $7.50 PSF for 1500 SF job ($11,250.00)

18" tile to be laid, on a clean slab, on the diagonal, with clipped corners every 2nd tile, similar to this:

I decided it would be another DIY job, as I felt the bid was ridiculous..
How was that bid ridiculous? I'm not saying its the best but do you go to work and make a paycheck? Don't others...??

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
DIY staff

Tile installation price

Depends a lot on your area--but around here that would have been a competitive price---
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
mike owes me $53 dollars

Tile installation price

My whole point is that this is a DIY forum.. not a place to bash a contractor

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Tileguy

Tile installation price

Hey ktkelly,

My advice is to never go into business for yourself, keep working for others.

Meanwhile if you can do it yourself and do it properly, go right ahead.

The sq. ft. price is not high at all based on tile size and diagonal lay. The only good thing is it's 1500 ft. but then it's probably not one big room. Clip corners like in the pic. Heck, every tile has to be cut in that pattern.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #13

Tile installation price

Never go to work for myself?

Bit too late for that one, as I owned my company for the last 30+ years...

The bid I received was for labor only. I supplied tile, thinset, wetsaw, notch trowels, spacers, etc, etc. And it actually was, for the most part, one very large open area.

It took me, a novice, less than 40 hours for the complete install, so the bid was roughly $240.00 per hour. That's not high?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Tileguy

Tile installation price

Quote:
The bid I received was for labor only. I supplied tile, thinset, wetsaw, notch trowels, spacers, etc, etc. And it actually was, for the most part, one very large open area.
That right there is very unusual. Wasn't the person a real tile setter? He should supply most of those things.

Quote:
It took me, a novice, less than 40 hours for the complete install, so the bid was roughly $240.00 per hour. That's not high?
Yes I know how we figure when it's a DIY job. We grossly under figure the time it takes to do the work including the planning since we're already there. Often our figures are based on - ready.....set.....go! Not the same if you're working at someone's home.

Jaz

Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #15

Tile installation price

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
That right there is very unusual. Wasn't the person a real tile setter? He should supply most of those things.

Yes, he was, and still is, a professional tile setter. I knew him from the many jobs that I worked on where he was doing the tile work.

The reason for my supplying all those things? I had them, and he could use them (the tools).

The tile, thinset, grout, and such came from the same supply house that he uses (I have a working relationship with the owner).

Quote:
Yes I know how we figure when it's a DIY job. We grossly under figure the time it takes to do the work including the planning since we're already there. Often our figures are based on - ready.....set.....go! Not the same if you're working at someone's home.

Jaz

Sorry, I can't follow what you posted there. Makes no sense to me. Although I do pick up on some attitude.

FWIW: Not that you need to know, or would care for that matter, but I've been involved in construction in some manner nearly 50 years. I do have some idea on how it goes.