Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Tile a garage floor... Or why not.

I have been wanting to finish the floor in my garage for 2 years now. I just can't decide what to use. The epoxy finishes seem to last a few years at best. The PVC garage tiles worry me because water will get under them and not dry out and they are hard to keep clean. PVC would be about $2.50 a square foot and the epoxy slightly less. I would like to keep the cost in the $3 - $4 range

What about tile? I live in PA near Pittsburgh and once or twice a year it may get to the freezing point inside near the OH doors. This garage houses the car and truck we use the most so snow and salt melting off will be a factor a couple month each year. So... is it possible to tile this? Would it be too slippery? What tile would I use? Would there be anything out of the ordinary about laying tile in this situation I need to know? I assume using a floor jack would be out of the question but what about using a bottle jack on this floor?

I am no stranger to building, remodeling and repairing almost anything residential but I can not seem to find anyone with first hand experience on this subject.

Thanks in advance for you help and ideas...

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,134

epoxies last us 10yrs when they're applied properly INCLUDING prep,,, then again, we don't use apron store/sher-wms stuff,,, weight's more destructive when its static than dynamic ( rolling ),,, that's why airplane parking aprons're thicker'n runways/taxiways,,, why not acid stain the floor, apply an aliphatic urethane sealer, & saw grout lines in it ? ? ?

these ' tiles ' are 2'6x2'6 - 2yrs & still look the same,,, we also use the urethane as a topcoat on epoxies to protect them.

$3 - $4 is about 60% of buying the whole job so, w/diy labor, you'll be fine

ps - the house numbers're reflective at nite & 14" tall so poor vision's no excuse for missing the home.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile a garage floor...  Or why not.-4931-after.jpg  

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I have seen a garage floor sprayed with a poly-urea with a light aggregate, and it was pretty neat. Think of a bedliner on a truck, and how it would look on your floor. All you need to do is find aspray insulator that is willing, and grind the floor for a prep.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #4

usually, polyaspartics/polyureas're spread w/squeegee then backfoll'd w/spik'd roller,,, base coat, aggregate/vinyl chip/top coat order,,, slightly different mtl than bedliner that's mix'd at the head then spray'd,,, then again, they're MUCH tougher than bedliner, too
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Thanks! this give me a couple of more options to consider. I really like the idea of acid staining and the aliphatic urethane sealer. Where can I purchase the material and read about the proper application?

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #6

we buy dec conc mtls from elitecrete but they only sell thru authorized distributors to trained installers,,, there are mtl suppliers to be found by googling ' decorative concrete forum '