Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tile floor replacement in kitchen

OK, this is a 1st time job for me...no really. I have no experience but have read some postings on putting down new tile on a floor. I have the tile, it is 12x12 and Made in Peru (even though the box says "U.S. Ceramic Tile.") At least it's not Chinese made. The tile is 9/32 thick.

The backer board is 1/4 inch thick, GCS "Durabacker w/Edgetech." Each piece is 5 feet by 3 feet, and the manufacturer is Daltile.

And last but not least, I do not know how to select the mortar. I read a lot of the postings about "mud", "thinset", and it seems that JAZ MAN is very knowledgable and I certainly hope he reads this and replies.

But what kind of mortar works best? Is it modified or unmodified? Do I need to put it on the backerboard underneath to adhere to the subfloor? (The house is old, 1955, and kitchen is 150 s.f.)

How do I install the backer board? Screw it?

How do I cut the backerboard? How do I cut the tile when I need to put down odd sizes?

Thank-you,

Ol Rick

ol rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Tile floor replacement in kitchen

wow rick - lots of questions. I'll do my best. I suggest you get a book on laying tile. It will show you all the steps.'

First you need to make sure the floor is sturdy enough. You install the backerboard into a bed of thinset AND screw it to the subfloor with special screws made for this purpse. I almost always use "modified" thinset or use regular thinset and mix it with the modifier and not water. You cut the backer board with a utility knife, score it a few times and it will break on the score line.

Cutting tile is best done with a wet saw, you can rent one, borrow one or buy one. For a small area I would try and borrow one. You can buy the cheapies for under $100 and then sell it on ebay when you are done or save it to lend to your friends when needed.

Good luck and ask questions as you go.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-04-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote