Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

tile floor problem

Sorry to post twice, but I placed this in flooring before I saw this forum:

OK, first it this isn't technically DIY, more like a second opinion. I'm having somebody do a small tile floor for me with a very simple design.

I couldn't get a picture to upload, so I hope I can describe this well enough.
Essentially, I have large light tiles (18x18) and small dark tiles (4x4). Every large tile gets a corner clipped, and where the four clipped corners come together, a small tile is inserted diagonally with respect to the larger tiles. Simple enough, right?

OK, here is a link to a picture of that pattern:
http://homedesignresource.com/wp-con...iles-ideas.jpg
(it's just the center part, not the border stuff)

Well, the installer tells me that it is practically impossible to do. He says that when the tiles (ceramic) get clipped, they will be as sharp as a razor's edge, so it's very likely that I sould cut my feet if I tried to walk over it. Also the clipped edge would stand up higher because the edges of the tiles are all beveled and slightly thinner than the rest of the tile.

Also, the smaller tiles have to be cut from larger tiles (because they don't come in the desired size), and they are just a tad thicker than the larger tiles (maybe 1/16 inch).

So is this really impossible to do without creating razor edges? I feel like this is a common floor pattern. I've seen it in a lot of places, and I don't see how it is so complicated.

Is the installer missing something? Is there a solution for "razor edge" problem?

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

tile floor problem

get a new installer

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

tile floor problem

2nd the motion for a new installer. I have 12x12's with clipped corners and no issues. The edges are not sharp.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,108

tile floor problem

That sharp edge can be sanded.
I have a diamond file just for this.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/diamond...file&FORM=HURE
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

tile floor problem

OK.
I guess I'll call a couple more companies.
This guy told me that if I tried to smooth the edges, they would get scratched up.
He's the contractor for Lowes where I was planning to buy the tiles, but I haven't actually bought any tile yet, so it's no trouble for me to make a switch at this point.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

tile floor problem

I posted to your other thread on the same subject. I'd like to add. Why would anyone buy a tile installation from one of the big box stores? You will get low quality tile installed by people that usually install carpet, sheet vinyl laminates etc. I wouldn't do it.

The following is my reply from the other thread, same subject:

This is a common problem when people create a pattern with tiles that really shouldn't go with each other. This tile guy is right and the end results may not be to his and your liking. However I don't know the exact situation or his skills.

The pattern is easy enough, that's not the problem. But when you clip corners, the tile will be a little thicker than the edges. Since your inserts are thicker however, this may not be as big a problem as it could be. I can't tell without seeing them.

But remember that often the tile guy gives a quote for a basic installation, and later the customer adds this extra work and doesn't think he should pay more. That may be the biggest problem here, I don't know the situation.

If you settle on a new price, be prepared to "see" and "feel" some sharp edges because of the cuts and the difference in tile thickness. (1/16" is a lot) He can hit the cuts with a stone, but they will still be sharp and not rounded.

I've done and seen this many times, sometimes it looks good, sometimes, not so much. Depends on the tiles and how much extra time can be spent on the grouting too. Either way it's a lot more work.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
retired guy 60 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 554

tile floor problem

I think I would want $1 more per square foot to do this and I agree that it may not come out looking very good.

There are a lot of ways to embellish a tile floor with different sizes and patterns, but it is good to avoid cuts.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

tile floor problem

All right. I guess the consensus is turning toward not cutting and inserting.

I've drawn up an alternative tile pattern that won't require any cutting. It doesn't look as good.

In this drawing, the grid squares are 6x6. The large brown tiles are 18x18, and the small green ones are 6x6. Does this work? Any foreseeable problems?
Attached Thumbnails
tile floor problem-tile-idea.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

tile floor problem

Hi again,

There's no problem with that since the tiles don't have to be clipped. But, are the small tiles still thicker than the large tiles? That's a modified Hopscotch pattern, I'm sure you'll like it. The regular Hopscotch has one large to one small tile. There shouldn't be much of an up-charge, just the normal xtra for a pattern.

Since we didn't address your subfloor or method of installation, we should do that before you continue. So tell us what the floor and structure below is made of. A geographical location might become relevant too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote